Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of signal quality/strength through YouView+ box

Grafter

Loss of signal quality/strength through YouView+ box

Hi,

I have an issued raised under ticket .  

When I plug my arial directly into the TV, for terrestrial channels I get 100% signal quality and 90%+ signal strength.  However, when I plug the arial into the YouView+ box and HMDI from box to TV, I loose 50% on both and hence the picture drops out so I can't watch them.  The also means I cannot record any terrestrial channels on the YV box.

I have a second YV box, supplied my Plusnet by mistake, but this show the same problem.  My signal comes from Emley Moor transmitter, but that seems to be ok.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,

Stephen

12 REPLIES 12
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Loss of signal quality/strength through YouView+ box

.i do not think changing the box would make any difference. On my TV signal I use a one for all signal booster.

https://www.oneforall.co.uk/en-gb/accessories/signal-distribution

If you have at least 2 outputs you plug the aerial into the preamp and a separate lead to the TV and one to the Youview box. The big advantage of that is that the Youview box can be switched off. There is a gain of about 12db on each output. The other thing is that there are built in filters to stop problems with mobile signals which are being added all the time. Your TX had major relocation of signals earlier this year.

The receiver in the Youview box is not as good as most TVs

Very soon a lot of channels will go when they use more bandwidth for5G mobile signals.

This solved my problem with the Youview box. The preamps cost about £12 to £17

Grafter

We have a Wolsey WMA-WPS100/1 Power Supply fitted, which is a signal booster already and the green power light is on so I'm assuming it is working.  Looks like I may need to get a TV aerial engineer out to see what's going off.

Rising Star

I had a preamp that was very old and that did not fix the problem. Currys are doing the 4 way one for all. £9.99 at the moment. The newer preamps have mobile signal blocking filters. Multiplexes are all different power outputs. Things like Forces TV are very low output compared to BBC 1 etc. The important thing is to run separate leads to each device. 

Grafter

HI - you'll have to excuse my ignorance as I'm not particularly electrically minded, but having been up in the loft I have a mast head amplifier serving 4 aerial points in the house (though we only use 2).  Only one has a YV box and that has the PSU attached.  This is the TV that has poor signal strength/quality through the YV box.  Everything was ok until a couple of months back when we started losing terrestrial channels due to poor quality.

Rising Star

If you look on BT forums you will find posts with lots of people having the same problem.. If you do a search on Google for your Emely Moor tx you will find what signals are week. On some multiplexes.things like Freesport and Forces TV are only about 1/3 power compared to the BBC tx power. A lot of the week  signals will go  maybe next year. The high frequency TV bands will be used for 5G. Even BBC 4 HD is a very low power signal.

If you could find a specification for your existing amp that may help. ! Do you have a wide band aerial that is one with X shaped elements. That covers the whole of the TV bands.

Grafter

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll see if I can find anything out about the amp and signals from Emely Moor.  I just have a standard aerial fitted.

I'd like to hear from @plusnet technical folk as clearly my signal strength is very good for terrestrial TV channels I watch.  I pay PN for a TV package and they provide equipment to enable that.  This equipment doesn't appear up to the job, so they either sort or admit they cannot provide the service they advertise.

Rising Star

If you have an ariel with straight elements it might be worth checking if you should have a wide band ariel. Originally ariels were in groups from A to E.. for example London was group a b. When digital started it worked that way signals were on UHF channel 23 to 28. That has now completely changed an London now requires a wide band ariel with X shaped elements.. Your main change recently was at the end of January 2020.

The main problem is you are trying to fix a problem with the lack of sensitivity on the Youview receiver.

If you can find your transmitter it should tell you which channels you should have and the power of each group of signals. It will also show which channels will start being removed starting in November. You may be trying to fix channels that will be canceled soon.

BT has the same problems with there Youview box. 

I think that is why Plusnet have not come up with an answer.

Rising Star

Grafter

Been to the local aerial shop and tried a suggestion of using an attenuator as a signal that is too strong is also a poor quality signal.  Unfortunately this hasn’t worked as it just reduced the signal strength. 

Grafter
Fixes: 1

It might seem unlikely that this will resolve Signal Quality issues however, It’s definitely worth trying a different HDMI Cable if you’re seeing very low or even Zero Signal Quality through your YouView Box but don’t see the same problem when viewing the same TV Channels through your TV Tuner.

Over on the YouView forum a few people (me included) had this problem with channels on a particular MUX, resulting in the ‘No Signal’ error message appearing on screen when viewing through the Youview Box yet when the same channels are watched through the TV Tuner (connected with the RF Loopthrough from the YouView Box) the Signal Quality is 100%

However, when we changed the HDMI cable that connected the YouView Box to the TV then the ‘No Signal’ error was resolved. All my channels through the YouView Box are now 100% Signal Quality.

I would never of thought a HDMI Cable could cause a TV Signal Quality problems on a YouView Box but it absolutely did!

My Services - Plusnet Fibre Extra and Plusnet TV
Grafter

Unfortunately that doesn't appear to be the solution.  BBC1 HD through the YV box with a different HDMI cable has a signal quality at about 70% and signal strength at about 50%, yet both are 100% with aerial directly into the TV.

Grafter
Fixes: 1

That’s a shame. My issue was also with the MUX that broadcasts BBC One HD (which is called BBC B) from the Winter Hill transmitter.

My problem sounds exactly the same as yours (Low signal strength and quality on MUX B channels through the Youview Box but the same channels on my TV Tuner being sourced from the RF Loop output of the Youview Box were around 98% signal strength but always 100% quality).

There is a guy on the Youview forums who is very knowledgeable and he advised trying a good quality, well shielded, HDMI cable. The problem was resolved immediately for both myself and another Youview customer.

We were also advised to change the picture quality from 1080p to 1080i, he advised that that can also cause signal issues. I don’t think I can provide links on here but perhaps have a  look in the Youview forum under the thread titled: -

BT software update 32.47.0 / 3.6.236

Thats where we all discussed the problems.. I hope you can resolve this, I know just how frustrating this issue can be.

My Services - Plusnet Fibre Extra and Plusnet TV