cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of output

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Loss of output

watching SyFy (319) TV screen goes black and audio stops for maybe 2-3 seconds at a time. There are NO error messages and the picture suffers no breakup before or after the blackout.

Router and Box rebooted - but its still doing it

I don't think its the multicast acting up  - I've been away for 2 weeks, has there been a software upgrade?

73 REPLIES
MattyC
Champion
Fixes: 46

Re: Loss of output

Are you still having problems with this Steve?

A test on your line runs clear suggesting that the multicast is fine.

Matty

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Community Veteran

I am, well I was last night by which time it had turned into the usual breakup followed by loss of output

Community Veteran

SyFy just about unwatchable today - regular drops to complete blackness with no audio. along with periods of pixellation and audio break up. ThinkBB monitor showing quite a bit of packet loss

packet.png

Community Veteran

Still just about unwatchable....

Starting to wonder if I should just dump the product....

Community Veteran

So bouncing the router until I got onto another gateway (which has no packet loss) seems to have solved the problem for now.

So it looks like the Technicolor TG582n basically just gives up handling multicast properly if there is any packet loss on the line.

MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

How do you know its not the other way around, that the TG starts dropping packets on the PPP session if its getting problems on the multicast side? From the data you have you can't conclude that the router is dropping packets because of multicast!

Be interesting to "time" the reboots till the problem starts, it may be some internal TG memory leak that after a while internal buffers aren't being cleared properly and getting congested. I use a Hub1 and so far not had any problems on fibre and multicast. When my main line drops to really low speeds the TV hasnt so far been impacted.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Community Veteran

How do you know its not the other way around, that the TG starts dropping packets on the PPP session if its getting problems on the multicast side? From the data you have you can't conclude that the router is dropping packets because of multicast!

Apart from the fact that the PPP drops are there even when the Youview box isn't streaming IPTV I don't have any proof that its not that way round...

Community Veteran

OK so no packet loss at all for the past 24 hours as far as I can see and IPTV worked without a single glitch yesterday... So either what is causing the low level of packet loss (< 5% most of the time) is also impacting the multicast (and causing packet loss there and causing re-sends) or the packet loss affects the router in such a way that it interferes with the multi-cast

Community Veteran

And packet loss is back and oh, there goes the stable IPTV channel signal.

So the two are very much locked together.

@MattyC - is there anything we can do about this. My line sync seems solid, the packet loss comes and goes and when it hits about 3% my IPTV channels become unstable.

Community Veteran

bit.png

So that bit just to the left of the right hand end of the graph... where there is no packet loss (and low latency) ... TV was fine... then the packet loss comes back and the TV signal acts up.

No changes in what we're doing at this end during this period

MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

Do you get any increase in Crc errors on your line when you have the problems?
Both the multicast to and broadband come down the same copper but at the exchange is where the tv and broadband take different routes.

So if it was packetloss effecting both at the same time it may well be the copper line, in theory you Can start watching tv and then turn the pppoe interface down and the TVs will Continue working.

The broadband is used for first authentication and decrypting channel and I think I read somewhere it also does the retransmission server too.

So I'm wondering if either as you say the router goes bonkers when it's dealing with lots of packetloss or if it's a copper problem and so affecting both at the same time?
Community Veteran

How do I check for CRC errors on the TG582n FTTC

Community Veteran

And dropped packets has gone again, latency is down... IPTV is stable.

Screenshot_2016-12-30_22-29-15.png

Community Veteran

OK - its beyond doubt - the packet loss and the breakup of the IPTV service are linked. But not sure if its a copper problem causing drops on the main internet and retries on the IPTV or a problem on the main internet causing problems with the router....