Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to add Plusnet TV

bwlmog
Dabbler

Looking to add Plusnet TV

Hopefully someone can help,

I took part in the orginal plusnet TV trial but returned the box as it would not work with my router Asus RT66U and the Thompson router provided just wasn't up to the job (limited wireless range).  Furthermore, I have a NAS drive and port forwarding etc is essential for me. Does anyone know if Plusnet have changed their policy and allowed access via alternative routers to the TV service?

A further question, I did consider moving to BT for the Ultra Sports service, but again there are similar issues with their service and the HH5.  Also, you have to hard wire the BT Box to the HH5 and can't use homeplugs which rules that out due to location.  My question is this, BT HD gets glowing reviews (from a picture perspective - due to high bitrates) and I wondered if the Plusnet service has the same benefits.

Thanks in advance,

7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Looking to add Plusnet TV

BT HD gets glowing reviews on DSAT, but the IPTV version actually gets pretty poor reviews for HD quality.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 5

bwlmog wrote:
Does anyone know if Plusnet have changed their policy and allowed access via alternative routers to the TV service?

I suspect the situation was, they didn't/don't support custom routers and didn't/don't know how to configure them for multicast TV.

I use BT now and it took me some time to find out how to configure my Zyxel router for BT TV. There's little useful info on how to do this on the router manufacturers web site or anywhere else on the web. Roll eyes

This link claims to show a working config for a ASUS RT-N66U:

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/Using-a-3rd-party-router-for-Multicast/td-p/1048582

Also a discussion in this forum:

https://community.plus.net/t5/TV/Router-Configuration-for-Internet-Multicast-Channels/td-p/1077600

biggles001
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I use the tp-9980 for Plusnet broadband and TV,but am not sure whether it will fulfill all the requirements you would like,not expensive,but works for me.

bwlmog
Dabbler

Hi chenks76,

I don't suppose you have any links to such discussions do you? I don't have a sky dish so don't have the option of getting BT TV or plusnet TV through that delivery platform as such I'm left with standard tv or over the Internet tv.
mantis
Dabbler

I have PN TV and have it running through my Asus RT-N66U. Have flashed the router with Merlin firmware but it works rock solid. I am surprised that your router would not work

MattyC
Champion
Fixes: 46

Sorry for the late response here.

Does anyone know if Plusnet have changed their policy and allowed access via alternative routers to the TV service?

This is the general consensus:

I suspect the situation was, they didn't/don't support custom routers and didn't/don't know how to configure them for multicast TV.

You can use your own router (the main thing is that it's multicast enabled), but we can't really provide support.

BT HD gets glowing reviews (from a picture perspective - due to high bitrates) and I wondered if the Plusnet service has the same benefits

It's a very similar setup, so hopefully it should be similar.

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
mikewalsh
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

The Asus rt66u will work with PlusneTV - you just need to update the firmware (via the asus website)

Regards

Mike