cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Life after Plusnet TV?

marky-mark
Hooked

Life after Plusnet TV?

Sad Sad that Plusnet have decided not to continue development of their Tv offering as having moved over from Sky a few years ago (after getting bored of the yearly price haggle with them although this was before the launch of the Sky Q) I found the Plusenet Tv offering with original channel line-up plus the occasional discounted Now Tv pass to catch up on those channels not provided on the Plusnet service gave my household all the TV we were looking for at a reasonable price and I liked the ability to record from the channels offered Thumbs_Up. Over the past couple of years the channel line-up has gradually shrunk and with the latest reduction in channel offerings I have decided to wait it out until the end of my current contract in a couple of months.

The broadband from Plusnet has been superb 😁 and I really can’t fault that service in any way, fast and reliable with very few issues over the years so am a bit hesitant about what a change in provider will bring. Before joining Plusnet I experienced issues with other internet providers and some had terrible customer service but Plusnet have been great, but perhaps things with other providers have improved a bit since then. I also like the Humax dtr-t2000 that I have connected to the service as it’s been a very reliable box and I like the integration with the other apps and ability to set recordings form the app on my phone. 

Looking just at the TV offerings out there it all seems a bit limited really. We are not in a Virgin area but have now got Community Fibre in the area who offer blistering speeds 😮 at good prices (currently offering 300mbps for £25pm or 800mbs for £35pm) they also offer a TV service through netgem TV for extra £15pm and currently comes with a year Amazon prime video but the app integration on their box looks lacking as no Now Tv or Netflix. 

BT Tv seems to offer the closest thing to what we miss from the Plusnet service but not sure if I could still use my existing youview box with that service (which would be ideal), I’m currently using the BT app with existing service so guessing it might be possible? It does come out a bit pricey though at around £50pm for broadband and TV/HD etc although does include integrated Now Tv entertainment giving a lot of the channels we like.

Keeping the Plusnet service for broadband would depend on what offering I get at renewal and how this compares to elsewhere but obviously with no Tv service of any real substance over freeview so would need to keep supplementing with other services like Now Tv (which actually offers good picture quality for us with their boost pack). I used to find heavily discounted Now Tv passes online and then often when you cancelled at the end of the period Now Tv themselves would offer a further discount to stay Thumbs_Up. I’m currently on half price offers for six months on entertainment and cinema packs but they end around same time as the Plusnet contract. The discounted passes seem to have all but disappeared online so I guess it might have to be full price passes for a while at least which then pushes the overall cost up when price of broadband is also added. Alternatively I could get standalone Sky Tv but again depends on how good a deal I can get on the broadband cost.

I looked at TalkTalk but their service didn’t really jump out at me, possibly because I found their website difficult to see what is actually on offer from them! Taking broadband and TV with Sky which seems to also come out at about £50pm for what we want but with the added bonus of Netflix thrown in meaning I would actually save £10pm that am currently paying on Netflix. So it’s beginning to feel like the lure of Sky is pulling us back again certainly in terms of the channel offering and overall value for money.

Best of both worlds could be broadband from Community Fibre for speed (although not sure if really need that speed) and standalone TV with Sky which would actually work out at about same as moving to BT Tv overall again factoring in the Netflix subscription.

Needless to say I’ve confused myself 😕 😂 - I’ve got a couple of months yet to mull over and decide but just wondered what others have decided to do post Plusnet Tv contract?

4 REPLIES 4
rogadodge
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Life after Plusnet TV?

I didn't realise PN were dropping tv until someone told me - no emails, and how difficult is it to flash a message on the TV when you turn it on? I've had a read about it, but it's a clear as mud what's happening. Usually PN are great and informative, but they've fallen short here in the customer service dept. I'm now looking at options, I just want a plug and play system, like Youview, not different services from different providers. Plusnet can't do that (I think) so I will almost definitely be moving on. I've been a PN customer for 1 years now, shame to go but loyalty, like respect, works both ways.
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@marky-mark  I've sort of been down that road although not with PN TV. Yes, there are other ways of streaming. Only big problem is a fair number plug themselves. I have a couple of Fire TV devices (box and HDMI version) and yes it is handy to bring an old TV up to date but Prime is always there. Its like someone chanting in the background. Go back to the home page and its Prime plug time ........ even though I don't use Prime, no escape.

With that in mind I went out and bought (from Amazon of all places) a Roku Express @ £24. It does HD TV and the choice of apps available is quite staggering really. Yes, you do have to sign up with Roku but what is on the home page is what I've put there - no sign of Prime etc at all. Fantastic! If you want Now TV there's an app for it - you'd probably have to sign up for it to use it. In fact there seems to be an app for nigh on everything from anywhere on the globe. For example, the wife being Vietnamese, was watching real time HD TV streamed direct from Vietnam yesterday. Not only was it free but the picture quality was extremely good - no buffering etc. So impressed I'm thinking of junking the Prime stick on the TV upstairs and get another Roku Express for it.

As for speed, until you start using it you don't realise how much you've actually been waiting for it! Now use to life in the Ultrafast lane (500Mb/s) I wouldn't go back to FTTC even if you paid me. As long as the price for the Community Fibre is affordable it might be for you although PN are supposedly promising full fibre. Certainly there is far less to go wrong with Full fibre - no crackly line etc..

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
marky-mark
Hooked

@idonno Thanks, actually I hadn't considered the Roku for streaming I will have to check out the content available through that as perhaps something like that along with the content on other apps might just work, although I would probably still keep the youview box for recording other channels and just switch between the two. I think your right about the full fibre experience, although the Plusnet broadband has been good there have been times when there is just too much going on in the house that it has struggled to perform - the better half is permanently glued to netflix on the tablet so gets the blame for most of the drain 😂 At the moment the full fibre is working out cheaper than what Plusnet are offering as a renewal offer on my account dashboard although could probably get something a little cheaper by them calling up.

MC22
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Like a few posters on here I cancelled my Plusnet TV service when they began removing channels. I figured it was going to be downhill from there which is a shame as it worked great, was very good value  and I thought the channel choice was very good too.

Since then I have continued to use my Youview Box (which is an old BT Youview+ box that I’ve had for ages and worked perfectly well with Plusnet TV) to record Freeview channels. I also use a Roku Express and Firestick 4K to occasionally dip in and out of using a Now TV entertainment pass. Both of those devices work much, much better than the slow and rather unreliable Now TV app on the Youview box.

I’d consider a Sky Q and Sky Ultrafast Full Fibre deal when my Plusnet contract ends. If you use the availability checker on the Sky website you might find they send you a Postcard with a offer. They sent one to me offering Sky Q Signature and 145Mb Ultrafast Full Fibre for £42 a month for 18 months although I have no doubt there’d be a very big hike in that price when the offer ends.

However, I’d much rather stay with Plusnet and just carry on occasionally dipping in and out of Now TV so, fingers crossed, Plusnet will offer FTTP by next March when my current Fibre Extra contract ends 😀

My Services - Plusnet Fibre Extra