cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving in disgust never to return.

scoobyjones1
Dabbler

Leaving in disgust never to return.

This evening I set my alarm for 6am and plugged in my phone charger, set up the BT app, connected my new Chromecast in readiness for the New Zealand v England T20....all excited and ready to watch England's prospects of a win increase....having stayed up for many sleepless nights this winter, watching cricket on Plusnet and the BT Sports app...

BUT NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! The coverage has switched, in the middle of the tournament!!!! from BT sports / Plusnet over to Sky.

So I cant watch it.

I am cancelling my Plusnet phone, broadband, TV and BT sport app first thing tomorrow morning.

Nothing surprises me in the money grabbing world of subscription TV but this is a NEW LOW of CYNICISM !!! 

In the middle of a tournament and with no mention at all previously on BT Sports. Disgusted.

16 REPLIES 16
oneinnit
Hooked

Re: Leaving in disgust never to return.

Yes BT Sport only have the rights for cricket played inside Australia via their deal with Cricket Australia. Sky has the rights to the New Zealand leg of the tour.

scoobyjones1
Dabbler

Yes, I wish BT had said that before I subbed for the app and bought a new Chromecast. I have a few BT shares and would sell those as well....except they are worth very little now.

BT have done a deal with Sky so that Sky can show BT tv.....why not the other way around as well? You may as well just go with Sky.

What is going on at a once great company? Not impressed.

mickr62
Grafter

While I can understand your annoyance , In fairness to Plusnet it is something they have no control over. The trouble is you have a limited choose of providers to choose from

Mickr

scoobyjones1
Dabbler

That is so true. I had yet another shock today. To switch from Plusnet Broadband / phoneline will cost me £84.72, plus a further £30 if I cancel and do not switch suppliers. I can understand the fees for cancelling during contract....but to charge a further £30 just to disconnect ( a switch in the exchange....thus enabling the line to be used by someone else) this is another nasty little charge, hidden deep in the T&C's.

Why doesn't the Ombudsman do something more to protect consumers?

Better yet, when will providers realise that if it is easy and cheap to leave then that makes it a lot more attractive to sign up!

stereohaven
Rising Star
Fixes: 4

I understand your frustration, but you could watch it if you wanted to and for much less than the cancellation fees.

Your new Chromecast supports NOW TV so if you open an account you could buy cheap Sky Sports passes off of eBay or Zeek.

A weeks viewing via a pass bought on Zeek will cost just over £9. 

scoobyjones1
Dabbler

Thanks for that tip...much appreciated, however I have already gone down the Now TV route and it was great at first. Once you have used up all the offers it costs £34 a month for the sports pack. Sky have it stitched up.

The best I could do was sign up again with Now TV @ £34 for 1 month, then cancel my sub....then they offer you 3 months @ £20 a month....which is good. But then I got stung because they charged me £34 again after that....even though there was nothing to watch and I didn't use it. So my advice is to be careful and set a reminder to cancel after the offer.

scoobyjones1
Dabbler

Further to that, NOW TV also do decent Fibre broadband deals and they have a NO CONTRACT offer! Cancel anytime!! This costs £35 more to set up than the 12 month contract....but as I will have to pay £30 to cease Plusnet anyway, I may well sign up to them soon. 🙂   

Does Plusnet offer the same? Or BT? I don't think they do, hence they are losing business. No wonder my shares are worthless!! 😞

stereohaven
Rising Star
Fixes: 4

I agree, always cancel as soon as you have applied a pass to avoid paying full price. I have only bought a pass from NOW TV directly once, which was a £99 deal for a years Entertainment & Sky Cinema they did at Christmas. 

Otherwise I always buy passes from eBay or Zeek, or sometimes if not much is about I buy a NOW TV box from the likes of Amazon that comes with the pass I want, then sell the box on as I don't need it.

scoobyjones1
Dabbler

I admire your knowledge in this area! There must be many people like you and I. It's such a shame these companies don't see that all people want is value for money. Why doesn't someone just offer the best deal they can.....without all of the discounts, deals, cashbacks, bundles, promos etc. It's crazy that you can get a better deal ordering a TV box you don't really want.....making Ebay even richer ! It must cost them a packet to send those out. So many providers these days just hope you can't be bothered to switch...or plan to catch you out after your contract ends. And as for 18 month contracts.....that's really restrictive. 12 is bad enough. Contract free would be a great marketing option surely? If you feel like you can escape anytime...and you are happy with the deal you have....then you are likely to stay....for years!! 

Divorce is so difficult....it puts you off getting married !! 🙂 🙂 

dvorak
Fixes: 1,285

@scoobyjones1 wrote:

....but as I will have to pay £30 to cease Plusnet anyway, I may well sign up to them soon. 🙂   

Only if you cease the line, if you transfer then (in most cases) there is no cease fee. 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
scoobyjones1
Dabbler

Yes, but my point is that at some stage soon I will have to cease the line. So rather than stay with Plusnet...as I would like....I will transfer to another company that does not charge a cessation fee or lock me in to a long contract. I am then free to cease the line at any stage without this crazy charge.

Plusnet charge customers more, ie without discount, when they are out of contract. This seems crazy to me. Many people will just switch as a result. Why not keep them on a rolling monthly basis at least for a while?

Plusnet are making a good profit from Line rental, broadband and TV without charging people £30 to stop using said services. I feel it is an unfair charge....again causing people to switch.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

That £30 is what Plusnet are charged (they might actually be charged more than that now) for the line being ceased.  They (and most other ISPs) are just passing it on.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,285

The cease fee is levied by openreach not PN
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
scoobyjones1
Dabbler

It is unreasonable of Openreach. But Plusnet do not have to pass on the charge. It should be built in to the contract cost....as you say...there IS no charge when switching as many will do anyway.

I can't think of many other products whose providers charge you for NOT using them. Crazy.