cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any adapters/boxes etc I can buy to make my TV HD or do I have to buy a brand new TV

Highlighted
Dabbler

Is there any adapters/boxes etc I can buy to make my TV HD or do I have to buy a brand new TV

Hi there,

I have a Freeview TV. The other day my neighbour asked me if I had watched ch 83 and I said no.

I looked and I didnt have a ch 83 so I re scanned but still it didnt appear.

I checked with the transmitter and it said I should be able to receive it (I thought this would be the case anyway because my neighbour has it). 

So I messaged the Freeview people and they said the reason I dont have it is because it's an HD channel.

So i was wondering if there is any kind of equipment/adaptor, like a box for example that I can buy so that I can get the HD channels or is that not possible and I will have to buy a new HD TV.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Hooked

Re: Is there any adapters/boxes etc I can buy to make my TV HD or do I have to buy a brand new TV

Hi Bright8

Channel 83 is not a HD channel anyway. On my TV it is Now 80s music channel.

HD channels on Freeview will be numbers 101 to 115.

If your TV does not receive them then you can get them by buying a Freeview HD set top box (which start from £40 in Argos) and plugs into your TV by HDMI cable.

If you decided to subscribe to Humax TV (aka youview) then this would include a Freeview HD box, along with the facility to record programmes in HD and subscribe to additional HD channels that are not available of Freeview for a monthly fee.

All of this above is dependent on your rooftop aerial being strong enough to pick up the HD channels.

Hope this helps.
Dabbler

Re: Is there any adapters/boxes etc I can buy to make my TV HD or do I have to buy a brand new TV

Thank you very much for replying and for the info. It was the Freeview guy I messaged that said 83 was HD so I just took his word for it and also when I looked on the transmitter list it didn't say Now 80s was HD but then under a coloumn (mux) further along it said COM8 HD. I also cant get any of the other COM8 HD channels

Do you think if I bought one of those boxes I would be able to get ch83 (according to the transmitter I should be able to get it (and the other COM8 HD channels) even though its not one of the HD channels 101-115? thank you

Highlighted
Hooked

Hi

I've looked into this and although channel 83 is not a HD channel, it is broadcast using the newer "DVBT-2" system.

Your existing TV is probably only receiving the older "DVBT". Especially if it is a good few years old now.

Although DVBT-2 is used mainly for HD channels, it looks like Com7 uses it, which would explain why you can't pick up ch.83.

If you were to purchase a Freeview HD set top box then it would certainly have a DVBT-2 receiver built in, allowing you to receive channel 83 alongside the HD channels.

This would of course depend on the quality of the signal being received by your aerial and nobody could guarantee what channels you would receive without knowing this.

Do be aware though that Channel 83 (Now 80s) is not broadcast in HD and the picture quality is actually quite poor.
It obviously just shows 80s music videos 24/7 (fair enough if that's your thing) but I would imagine it starts to get very repetitive after a while.

The HD channels (101 - 115) are much more worthwhile IMO, providing your aerial can pick them up. If you have only ever had access to SD (standard definition) TV channels before then you should find the picture quality is a big improvement.

The most basic one is something like this https://groceries.asda.com/product/media-streaming-freeview-boxes/manhattan-t-1-freeview-hd-set-top-...

But that's the most basic one, you may want to look into something better that will also give you access to on demand services like iPlayer, and allows you to record TV programmes and series automatically.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Post released from Spam Filter.

Highlighted
Hooked

Hi

I spent ages writing a reply with loads of information but it somehow disappeared even though I definitely pressed save.

Anyway, having looked into it, it seems that the reason you can't get channel 83 is because Com8 broadcasts using the newer DVBT-2 system.... And your existing TV can probably only receive the older DVBT.

The new DBVT2 system is used mainly for HD channels but it also seems to include channel 83. Which as we said is Now 80s.... Essentially a 24/7 music video channel. Fair enough if you're big into 80s music but I would imagine it gets quite repetitive quite quickly.

Now 80s certainly isn't broadcast in HD and the picture quality is fairly poor.

If you were to purchase a Freeviw HD box then you would be able to receive channel 83, along with the HD channels 101 - 115.

Again this really depends on the quality that your aerial is getting. Nobody can guarantee what channels you will receive without knowing that.

If you don't have any HD channels at the moment then it's definitely worth the upgrade as the picture quality is much better on 101 - 115.