cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPTV Channels - Sound dropouts

s1m0nh
Dabbler

IPTV Channels - Sound dropouts

This is becoming more of a problem. It's as though someone is turning the volume up and down very quickly. In particular, Cartoon Network and H2 seem to be pretty much constantly affected.
There are no problems with the terrestrial channels. Any ideas or should I raise a ticket?
32 REPLIES
beeceegee
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: IPTV Channels - Sound dropouts

H2 is particularly bad - I suspect aliens are interfering with the signal  Tongue
Other channels seem to suffer slightly during advert breaks, especially at the end of an advert when the screen goes mainly dark or light. Think this "dark screen" effect has been mentioned elsewhere.
s1m0nh
Dabbler

Of course. Aliens! I've rebooted the box and it seems ok at the moment. If it happens again, I'l raise a ticket. Very annoying.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I get audio drop out on things like Fox HD and SyFy - usually when there is a lot of black or white on the screen....  Oddly sometimes even the channel logos vanish.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Same problem here with Cartoon Network in particular, assumed it was an issue with that channel since others that we watch do not seem affected, since others are reporting similar (including other channels) it looks like further investigation is required (Plusnet?).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

It seems we're not alone: https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/Sound-Dropouts-on-Internet-TV/td-p/1497730
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

So BT claim its been fixed in a software update but people are still getting it.....
Community Veteran

Pretty much  Sad
Call me 'w23'
Community Veteran

A short press of the rewind button during viewing appears to stop the sound dropping out.
Call me 'w23'
Community Veteran

So that suggests that its some sort of buffering issue on the box....
jjc
Grafter

I only get this during the adverts so not overly worried
John
Community Veteran

I've had it on adverts (or closing credits) for quite a while, but it was getting worse.
beeceegee
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: w23
A short press of the rewind button during viewing appears to stop the sound dropping

I tried using the pause button briefly, 5 seconds-ish,  while watching H2 (the worst affected channel). On restarting I did not notice any dropouts, even during the adverts.
This on the Z4 box (ie non-recording unit, though it does have a pause live action facility)
Community Veteran

And it gets odder.
I recorded something the other night but I turned on and caught the last minute or so and the closing titles..... which were full of audio drop outs.
Watched the recording tonight and there were NO dropouts at all.
Huh
BenJSmyth
Grafter

I find this exact same problem. I reported it to Plus Net a couple of months ago who told me it was because I had connected my box to my sound system via HDMI. I have since connected via optical cable but still get audio drop outs, but like you, only on live streams. Recordings are audio drop out free. I gave up with Plus Net support as we ended up going round in circles with them telling me it was my kit at fault.
See my original thread here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,140401.0.html
I've tried direct LAN connection to the router (an Asus AC3200), different make of powerline adapters, HDMI audio connection, Optical audio, surround sound on in the box menu, surround sound off in the box menu. No matter what combination of these things I do, I get audio dropouts. Comedy Central HD is particularly bad for us.
dick:quote