cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP chanels breaking up

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

IP chanels breaking up

Getting random break up and the "There are problems" messages across all IP channels at random. TV box and router and OR box all restarted and its not making any difference.  Speed checks not reporting any problems.

Last time this happened it went on for weeks and I had the box and the router replaced (new router turned out to be completely useless so I sent it back).  Never got to the bottom of the problem last time - they thought it was a problem sending resend messages back for dropped multicast packets but nothing was ever really pinned down- I'd raise a ticket but now they've made that so awkward..

Anyone else seeing this problem?

14 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 31

Re: IP chanels breaking up

Hi SteveA,

Diagnostics aren't showing me any connection problems. Can you try dropping the broadband connection (i.e powering the router off, then back on or log in and disconect/reconnect).

Let us know if that makes any difference.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran

Hmm - well something glitched on my router - I was getting less than 3MB download (even though I'd checked it earlier) and just about no upload....

I've restarted it and will see how it goes.

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 31

That'll be the culprit. I'm guessing a reboot sorted that and fixed the issue?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran

Hopefully - now just got to work out why I get this error when I attempt to post to the forums:

woops.png

Community Veteran
Fixes: 5

Community Veteran

Well it fixed it for a bit - now getting picture break up and sometimes a completely black screen for a second or so but with no error messages being displayed..... Speed test (just run) shows no apparent problems....

Community Veteran

Which router do you have?

Is there any other activity on your network, eg p2p software running other downloads / updates etc.

Community Veteran

TG582n

No software that's not normally running - but no P2P at the moment and nothing downloading.

Community Veteran

Try this:
In the routers network device settings, identify the Youview box and for that device tick "always use the same IP address".
Reboot the youview box and see if that helps.

Community Veteran

I configured the YouView box to use a static IP address last time I was having issues like this...

Community Veteran

IMO that's not such a good idea with the TG582n. It can lose track of connected devices when they go to sleep mode for long periods. By ticking "always use the same IP address" in the routers settings for the device it ensures the router keeps track of the device. I suggest you put the youview back on a dynamic IP and then make the above config in the router.

Note:

Printers and connected TV's often appear to suffer from this issue.

Community Veteran

DHCP isn't being done by the router - DHCP is being done by a server which has a specified range for dynamic addresses and the YV box is sitting in another range that I only put certain devices such as the YV box, the wireless printer and a couple of wireless access points.

Community Veteran

SteveA wrote:

DHCP isn't being done by the router - DHCP is being done by a server

Are you sure that's not breaking IGMP / Multicast. Undecided

Community Veteran

The YV box is set with its own IP address, the fixed IP address of the router as its gateway and the DNS is set to the PN DNS servers.

Its been set this way since I got the box and its been fine apart from two periods of misbehaving like this.