cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm SAD

C1Rider
Grafter

I'm SAD

Really excited to see that I had Plusnet channel 900 with three dots under it on my ex BTYouView box.  Before moving to Plusnet I had BTTV via my Internet connection so, a phone call to order Plusnet TV brought me down to earth with a bump.
My exchange doesn't have fibre although it is the next best thing with a quoted download speed of 12/14Mb which apparently is not suitable for PlusNet TV  Cry
No fibre, no Plusnet TV  Sad Cry
It would have been a real boost as I am on a relay transmitter with limited TV..
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: I'm SAD

Have you looked at FreeSat?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
dynoman
Dabbler

NOW TV works just fine on a non fibre connection as long as your speed is over 2.5Mpbs my parents have a speed of 4Mpbs and it works just fine. The entertainment package costs them £6.99 a month no contract and they seem very happy with it.
(I'm not trying to sell you NOW TV by the way just suggesting it might be a viable alternative in your case as you don't have Fibre)
Fixes: 115

I don't understand the FTTC limitation but suspect it's more marketing than technical.
I have one of the original boxes from the 2012 YouView trials and have no problem viewing HD content with a sync between 4700 and 5200.
It has been mentioned in other threads that a roll-out for non-fibre customers is possibly on the cards.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

MattyC
Champion
Fixes: 46

Sorry to hear that you can't get this C1Rider.
As Mav states; we may roll out to non-fibre customers in future.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
C1Rider
Grafter

Thanks for the replies;
I've looked at the NowTV basic list and don't really see anything to get excited about for £6.99 and due to circumstances satellite reception is not a viable option.
The bit I can't get my head round is speed; to me fibre is like a motorway and ADSL like an A road; I can travel at motorway speeds on an A road so what's the ( non technical ) reason that stops me getting Plusnet TV when I could get BT TV previously on the same road ( line ) ?Huh
As I understand it the only difference is there's a bit of wire from the exchange to a box in the road, then a bit of fibre from the box in the road to another box in the road, then a bit of wire from the second box in the road to a house. I'm less about a mile from the exchange.
I'm sure there must be loads of other folks in the same situation as I am and they would benefit from being able to get Plusnet TV.
So please Plusnet,  Kiss  make an old man happy, and switch the switch in my exchange so I can receive all the channels that are giving me error code BTV-434,  I'll even pay for it  Wink
C1Rider
Grafter

Look, I'm almost a 15mb !!!!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: jelv
Have you looked at FreeSat?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: C1Rider
due to circumstances satellite reception is not a viable option.
Fixes: 115

Personally I'm happy to hang fire till either FTTC becomes an option for me or PNTV becomes available for ASDL subscribers.
Until then I have both FreeSat and standard Freeview which covers most of my TV requirements in one way or another

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

C1Rider
Grafter

I don't hold much hope of getting fibre from my exchange; 2500 users is way down the list of priorities for that  Sad
Now I'm really sad, the Plusnet TV lists that were showing yesterday have disappeared so I can't even pretend that I can get Plusnet TV now by selecting a channel and getting an error report  Cry
I suppose it proves something, there is a " switch " somewhere and it's just been moved in the wrong direction.  Roll eyes