cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help connecting to wifi

teddman
Grafter

Help connecting to wifi

Right so I've got my new you view+ box and all's well. Except I can't get it connected to wifi. So my TV is in the living room MILES away from the hub and phone socket by the front door. I had a wireless range extender with ethernet socket lying around so I thought I'd just connect to that and when I do the box connects to the internet perfectly and I can use all the on demand stuff no problems but for some reason it just won't let me watch the internet channels. It will show what's on and when I click it ,it gives me the ipc6023 error. I disconnected it and plugged the box via a mammoth reel of cat 5 in the hub direct and it works perfectly but then I have this wire dragging through the house and the wife isn't happy about it. Is there a fix or something I can do? I'd rather not spend £40 on the PN powerline adapters if I can avoid it.

Cheers in advance.

4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 15

Re: Help connecting to wifi

Looks like your extender doesn't support multicast (how the channels are broadcast)
So only things you can do are run a cable (mine is below the router, so drilled a hole in the ceiling against the wall and ran the cable down that way) or powerline adaptors, or an extender that does support multicast (sorry can't help there).
An alternative maybe to use a second hub as a wifi extender but not tried that either.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 41

The internet channels are transmitted using Multicast which doesn't work over wifi. I'm afraid it's either powerline adaptors  or a long cable!

teddman
Grafter

Ah balls. I do have a spare Netgear router lying around. Could that maybe work set up in wireless repeating mode? I have no experience in doing that either so unknown territory for me but maybe someone else on here could help with that?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 15

You need to make sure the other router supports multicast, BEFORE you set it up as a repeater.
There is a long thread on here about multicast routers, look in there to see if it is.
If it is then search online for a howto convert it to a repeater.