cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HD Freeview Recorder - Help for the ignorant

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

HD Freeview Recorder - Help for the ignorant

My better half has decided that she wants an HD Recorder so my first thought is a Humax HDR-2000T

but then comes the next bit

If I get one with an internet connection to use for catchup do I need anything other than a connection to the router

Of course the other option other than paying £150 for a unit is to subscribe to Plusnet TV with a YouView + box which is why I have posted here as that would cost £150 approx over the 18 month contract which is about the same but what happens at the end of the 18 months if you don't subscribe to the TV package.
Does it still allow catchup or doesn't the internet link work

21 REPLIES
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: HD Freeview Recorder - Help for the ignorant

Oldjim wrote:

Humax HDR-2000T

If I get one with an internet connection to use for catchup do I need anything other than a connection to the router

HUMAX Youview Recorders have the prefix  DTR

I have the Youview model DTR-1000T, and the internet connection is simply to connect to your router via Ethernet cable.....

No router password required, if connected by cable.

However,even though my DTR1000T comes with YouView, it appears that the current HDR2000T does NOT.

"Simply connect the HDR-2000T to your home broadband connection, either by Ethernet cable directly or via powerline adaptors* or a Humax wireless dongle, to access services including YouTube, BBC iPlayer, and Internet Radio. Additional services to be added in the future."

http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/products/product.php?gid=442

So catch up limited to BBC ?

"There’s BBC iPlayer, BBC News, BBC Sport, YouTube, Picasa, Teletext Holidays, Wiki TV, Flickr and an internet radio app. That’s just what we found on the initial screen, but there are loads more to download in the App Market, including Daily Express, OK Magazine, Twitter and Bible TV. Pay TV streaming service VuTV will be added soon, providing access to Nickelodeon and Comedy Central."

http://www.trustedreviews.com/humax-hdr-2000t-review

However, it would appear there is another (earlier 2014 ?) version of the HDR2000 that does have Youview, ie the DTR-T2000, note the slight model number difference.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/humax-dtr-t2000-youview-review

I think this is the model you require, if it is still available.....

As with my DTR1000T, Youview Internet connection with the DTR2000T will be plug & play, as above

Also be aware, my DTR1000T has quite  insensitive tuners, and records blocky pictures at times on some SD channels, when my other Freeview Recorders are fine.

That could be down to our local relay transmitter, which has measurably lower signal strength on some SD channels...

Not helped by the fact in Derbyshire, we may live in an elevated position, but it is in a Valley, and our place is surrounded by Trees !!

One reason we went the Freesat route for all main recordings.

Even that sometimes fails recordings, I think mostly due to non predicted timer conflicts, such as some series links conflicting with one off timers

So, I mostly use the Humax Freeview for Humax Freesat backups

And other HD Freeview PVR's as backup for the DTR1000T, ones with USB recording facilities.

I'd certainly give Google a go...

Fixes: 101

Oldjim wrote:

... but what happens at the end of the 18 months if you don't subscribe to the TV package.
Does it still allow catchup or doesn't the internet link work

it works fine, catchup just needs internet connectivity. 

you just won't be able to access the ip channels. 

Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

@Infinity A most informative answer - I didn't realise that it was effectively limited to BBC iPlayer and as the DTR is rather more expensive the Plusnet one seems a much better option

@dvorak Thanks - that clears that up

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Jim, if all you want is the HD freeview channels and catch up, just buy an EX BT Youview box. (<£30 on ebay for the recording box, I got mine with a HH5 locally for £10 ;-)).
It has a 500Gb hdd inside, if it goes then it is easily replaced with another laptop one.
You will have the HD/catchup/record the same as the PN offering (same box) just without the IPTV channels.

Internet connectivity is usually wired.
SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 53

The Humax FVP-4000T Freeview Play HD TV Recorder offers an enhanced catchup service

Players include: BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, All 4 with Demand 5 and Subscription video on demand Including Netflix*
*Netflix streaming membership required

from http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/products/product.php?gid=613

Although the reviews are a bit mixed

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/tvs-entertainment/pvrs/1404106/humax-fvp-4000t-review-freeview-play-i...

http://www.trustedreviews.com/humax-fvp-4000t-review

P.S. I'm a Freesat user which has a nice catchup service Freetime using the HUMAX HDR-1100S

Infinity
Pro

Oldjim wrote:

@Infinity A most informative answer - I didn't realise that it was effectively limited to BBC iPlayer and as the DTR is rather more expensive

You could always go the refurb route...

http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/refurbished/dtr-t2000-500gb.html

I have had 4 refurbs from Humax over the years, Freesat & Freeview, in addition to several New ones.

Only one refurb went faulty, after a couple of weeks.

It wouldn't Power up.

Humax sent me a faultless replacement the very next day, by courier, using a specially designed container, and took the faulty one away, at no cost to myself.

I was told to keep the original remote, and cables, so now got spares !

Community Veteran

I've found restrictions with Humax boxes, though admittedly mine are not the latest.

As a result I've bought a couple of cheap little NowTV boxes which work very well.

The Humax boxes are still there to record things, but we tend to just use catch-up more anyway. Though the advantage of recordings is that you can skip the adverts. Roll eyes

Gel
Pro
Fixes: 10

another benefit of NOWTV is that most catch ups are advert free; may be occasional SKY ad, but they are much shorter than on terrestrial TV channels.

Community Veteran

The NOWTV box at £14.99 is a really good option with a standard Humax

Community Veteran

Thanks to you all for the valued input.

In the end after calling Plusnet to see what deal they were offering for TV - answer none just the standard

I have ordered a Humax HDR-2000T and a standard NOWTV box and we will see how it goes

Community Veteran

Update - NOWTV box arrived this morning and is now up and running via the wireless connection

It was a bit aggravating that I had to sign up for a package and then cancel it

There was an interesting glitch with the wifi login
I tried using the guest network which doesn't have access to the network just to the internet and it threw a wobbly as it wanted access to the network. Changed to the main wifi network and problem solved

Gel
Pro
Fixes: 10

Now you can binge on all the catch up box sets Smiley

Don't buy passes direct from NOWTV; far cheaper at retailers or on well known auction website.

Community Veteran

Not me - my better half is the TV watcher

Infinity
Pro

Oldjim wrote:

Thanks to you all for the valued input.

I have ordered a Humax HDR-2000T and a standard NOWTV box and we will see how it goes

Be aware that the NOW TV Box currently only outputs NOW TV at 720p HD, as fed by SKY.

http://help.nowtv.com/article/NOW-TV-Box-Tech-Spec

I recently purchased a couple of 3 month Entertainment Passes, cost me £5 each, with two new Now TV Boxes, using Tesco Boost vouchers before they expire.

Did you check when the NOW TV Pass expires ?

Ours both expire 22 May 2017, so last one should be started 22nd February 2017....

Having had SKY TV before, I find 3 months is more than enough time to watch / catchup all I want to...

It is very easy to cancel NOW TV during the 3 months, it's just a click on the "pass" website.

Humax.... sometimes you may find the Remote control does not appear to work...... easily solved, just press the STB/PVR button at the top !!

Sometimes, I have pressed the TV button by mistake, usually when putting the remote down.