cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting BT Sports on a TV

StephenJB2

Getting BT Sports on a TV

Given that I have FTTC & a smart TV (Samsung), how do I go about watching BT Sports on the TV?

Obviously I need a subscription to BTS, but the steps beyond that are as clear as mud to me.

16 REPLIES
RichardB
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Getting BT Sports on a TV

Hi StephenJB2,

I have a Samsung smart TV but the BT Sport app will not cast/connect directly to these TV'S.

The only way is to use a Google Chromecast.

http://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/11935582053399500679?q=chromecast&biw=1280&bih=667&sa=X&ved...

Plug the chromecast into one of the HDMI ports on the TV and it's power supply into a mains socket.

Set the TV to the appropriate HDMI input.

Download the Google home app and launch it to configure the chromecast to connect to your wifi.

Got to the chromecast settings & set it to 50Hz mode.

Once configured it is then possible to cast the programme from the BT Sport App to the TV by pressing the cast symbol at the top & right of the app.

Richard

stereohaven
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

If you don't have (or want) a Google Chromecast then you can also AirPlay to an Apple TV.

Either way, the basic steps are:

1. Get a BT Sports app subscription
  2. Install the app on a phone or tablet
  3. Get a Chromecast or Apple TV and plug it into your TV
  4. Start watching the channel you wish on your phone or tablet
  5. Press the "Cast" icon for Chromecast or the "AirPlay" icon on the screen to send the stream to the device plugged into your TV
  6. Watch sport

The "Cast" icon will look like this:

Casting Icon in BT Sport appCasting Icon in BT Sport app

The "AirPlay" icon will look like this:

The AirPlay iconThe AirPlay icon

Once you click on the icon, the device plugged into your TV will pick up the stream and display it. If you have more than one Chromcast or Apple TV it will ask you which one you wish to cast to.

I have both an Apple TV and the original Chromecast and I would say picture quality is equal through both but the app works much better (when changing channel for example), with a Chromecast.

bmc
Aspiring Pro

@StephenJB2 

I believe you need to sign up for PlusNet TV first. You get offered a choice of boxes - one for watching or one for watching and recording.

The basic setting is you plug the box into your router by ethernet cable and then the box into your TV (by HDMI I think).

You then can get the app.

Brian

Browni
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 31

You don't need to sign up for Plusnet TV.

I have BT Sport only and use a Chromecast connected to my TV Which I cast to from my Android mobile.

I must have been really bad in a previous life. This is my 3rd ISP in a row that uses lithium.
stereohaven
Rising Star

Browni wrote:

You don't need to sign up for Plusnet TV.

I have BT Sport only and use a Chromecast connected to my TV Which I cast to from my Android mobile.

That is correct, you can now just have the BT Sport app through Plusnet for £5 a month on it's own.

You get the app for free if you take BT Sport through Plusnet's YouView TV service and option 3 is to add it via your Sky box.

You can see the 3 options at the bottom of this page: https://www.plus.net/tv/btsport/

Browni
Seasoned Champion

I got it for £2.50 per month for the first 6 months Wink

I must have been really bad in a previous life. This is my 3rd ISP in a row that uses lithium.
stereohaven
Rising Star

Browni wrote:

I got it for £2.50 per month for the first 6 months Wink

Good for you, I think everyone that pre-registered an interest did as well. Thumbs Up

I don't know if any deals are available at the moment hence I quoted full price. Always worth making a call and asking the question I think if anyone new wants to add it.

bmc
Aspiring Pro

@stereohaven

OK, now I'm getting interested but I have a question (or two).

Does running it through an Android device use up data allowances?

Can you use the online portal to view games on your main PC?

I'm interested because I recently found out that you can't get PlusNet TV if on the FTTP Trial. Hopefully I'll be on this by the end of the year when I'll ditch my landline and start using a smart phone.

Brian

Browni
Seasoned Champion

It would only use up data allowances if you chose to connect that way rather than using WiFi and yes, you can view games on your PC via the online portal.
stereohaven
Rising Star

bmc wrote:

Does running it through an Android device use up data allowances?

It will do if the device isn't connected to WiFi.

I'm assuming you have Unlimited broadband (i.e. no usage limits)?

bmc wrote:

Can you use the online portal to view games on your main PC? 

If you mean the BT Sport website then yes:

BT.jpg

I believe there is also a BT Sport app in the Windows store. The picture from above is of a browser window where i have just gone to the BT Sport website and logged in to watch: http://www.sport.bt.com/

bmc
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for the information.

While I don't currently have a SIM card I do have an Android smart phone. So, if I understand correctly I can sign up on PlusNet for the app, install it on my phone and then use the on-line portal to view games (probably through my Chromebook).

If I then want to watch on the main TV I would need to get something like Chromecast, Roku or Amazon Fire to stream to the TV.

I currently have an ADSL connection with a download of around 6.7 during the day but this can drop to 3-4 in the evenings. Is this enough to use the app / web portal? (would save waiting for my FTTP connection).

Brian

stereohaven
Rising Star

Pretty much, yes.
Apparently the minimum connection speed required to view is 400kbps!
StephenJB2

Thanks for all the replies.  It seems odd to have to watch the programme on a tablet and then cast it to the TV.  It ties up a tablet & a bunch of wifi bandwidth (I finally have a 5GHz enabled router and that band is empty but I doubt the  2.4GHz band would have stood for it).  I guess this is going to be the future if we decide to go for it, but I would have preferred selectable channels, an app on the TV, or even a set-top box.

DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 6

StephenJB2 wrote:

It seems odd to have to watch the programme on a tablet and then cast it to the TV. It ties up a tablet & a bunch of wifi bandwidth (I finally have a 5GHz enabled router and that band is empty but I doubt the  2.4GHz band would have stood for it).

It doesn't with Chromecast. Streaming is handed off to the Chromecast, and the tablet or mobile device just acts as remote.

AirPlay is a different beast, that does tie up the device and bandwidth, since it acts as a server.