Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freeview Box died

FIXED
Amadeus
Grafter

Freeview Box died

My freeview box (t2120) died - going into reboot cycle. Reset didn’t work.
Plugged in a t1000 which was given to me as part of the iptv trial. Box seemed to work ok but got no iptv channels (eg bt sport) even after reset.
Support said: (call 1) freeview box registered (then dropped off chat when I went to do another reset); (call 2) call back when tv team in; (call 3) flipping between 3 teams but didn’t seem to know what to do is a reset didn’t work and then said I’d have to pay if an engineer came out and found to be a hardware fault. No one has been able to explain why the t1000 box doesn’t work any more.
Can someone on here tell me if it should and if it shouldn’t, why not (happy to be technical)?

As an aside, do I have to buy a replacement box from plusnet or will any freeview box work ok?
Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
hangar18
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Re: Freeview Box died

Hi..

The fault with your box could be a simple hard drive failure.. It may be worth trying a replacement drive if you have one laying around and if your box is out of warranty of course.

If Plusnet's TV services work the same as BT's offering, I believe that the Humax Youview boxes should work. So I don't understand why your T1000 doesn't work correctly anymore.. Have you ensured that the box firmware is up to date? I know when I had BTTV, I had it running on a T4000 and a T2000.

I don't believe Freeview boxes will work at all.

Jubby
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 31

Hi @Amadeus

I would recommend performing a factory reset (deleting recordings) through maintenance mode before looking at your options for a new set top box. I appreciate you have stated this has already been performed but there are multiple ways to reset and I would like to ensure you have done the correct one to rule out any corrupt data causing the loop.

Here are the instructions.

1. To access maintenance mode, the YouView box must be powered off using the power switch on the back of the YouView set top box.

2. Whilst holding the down button on the top of the set top box, the power should then be turned back on (using the power switch again)

3. The down button should be held down until a screen with Enter Maintenance Mode Y/N (Y: Power) at the bottom appears.

4. Once this screen appears, the down button can be released and the Power button on the YouView box should be pressed.

5. Select Factory Reset, delete recordings then press the right button until the set top box starts to perform a reset.

From the information you have provided, if this does not correct the issue, I would recommend contacting our TV Customer Options Team on 0800 0113 217 to discuss a new deal for a set top box.

This is due to the likely-hood of an engineer not being able to resolve the fault, resulting in a new set top box being required. The way the set top boxes are configured is that only our boxes will be able to receive the internet channels provided through your account.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
Amadeus
Grafter

Sorry for the delay - been away for a few days.

Thanks for the info.  The box is out of warranty so I can certainly look at doing that.  I imagine the T2120 requires a 2.5" drive which I'm not sure I've got but I'm sure I could get one of those cheaply enough and assume that the box would format it appropriately (FAT32 or EXT3 I guess).  Might be a bit of fun as well.  How badly wrong can it go?  🙂

If I do decide to go down the DIY route, I'll post back here and let people know how I got on.

Having had a little look, buying a new box isn't a cheap option and I can imagine slopey shoulders should there be an issue with it.

And sorry for mentioning freeview rather than youview; I think you're right in that a freeview box wouldn't work or at least not do the IPTV stuff which I want.  Anyway, I'll try to refer to Youview going forward.

Thanks for your input

Amadeus
Grafter

Hi Lewis,

Sorry for the delay in replying - I've been away for a few days.

Thanks very much for your detailed and considered reply.

Does this information about a reset with deletion apply to both the T2120 (which is power cycling - I assume a dead HD but could there be an issue that gave these symptoms would be fixed with a reset with deletion?) and the T1000 (which seems to work other than no BT channels?  Would you expect the T1000 to work or has there been some kind of protocol change which means that it would no longer work?

Oh (and I also meant to say to Hangar18), the firmware of the T1000 is as up to date as it can be but it's not been updated for a couple of years now.

Sorry for all the questions, my brain has a kind of scientific bent to it so I like to understand things.  Always happy to try things if I run out of considered ideas.  Ultimately I can't watch my recordings (on the T2120) now (tho I can on the T1000) so if I have to do a reset which would lose those, I've not lost anything - just the nature of the beast.

Many thanks

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 111

Fix

Hi @Amadeus,

Thank you for getting back in touch and for letting us know that you're going to try some checks on your side.

Unfortunately, the non-Freeview channels will only work with the T2120, as the T1000 is no longer compatible with this. Please let us know how you get on. If you need a new box, I'd recommend that you speak to our TV customer options team on the number above as they should be able to arrange a new deal for you that includes a new Youview box.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Amadeus
Grafter

Thanks Emily, I appreciate knowing that I shouldn't spend any more time trying to get the T1000 working, even if it's not what I wanted to hear! 🙂

I'll give your TV team a call to get a new box tho I'm still tempted to get a screwdriver out on the existing box just for fun 😉

rgds