Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flaky YouView+ box

FIXED
wisty
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Flaky YouView+ box

Do I have a bad YouView+ Box, or are they generally a little unstable?

My box is setup to stay in Smart standby, connected to a Samsung TV by HDMI cable. Billion 8800NL router. FTTC at 40/2.

Occasionally (once a month?) I click the power button on the remote, and YouView starts up OK, but with no sound. Switching the box off and back on (and waiting for its interminable startup) fixes it.

Occasionally it will not start from standby, it sits there with the red light showing and needs power cycling to get it to work - on those occasions it has often missed programmes I have set it to record. It seems the box has crashed.

Last night it would not switch on via the remote. When I power cycled it, it came up in maintenance mode, recommending a software reset. That worked, except that it then lost all the internet channels and I had to go back into maintenance mode and do a factory reset (saving recordings) which got me back to square one - except that it had lost the recording schedule.

I have noticed that when it glitches, it often tells me on the restart that it has reset the channel list ( or words to that effect). 

Is it just my box ( it's almost out of warranty) or is this unstable behaviour when it updates itself a fairly normal thing?

When it's working, it works fine.

26 REPLIES
MattyC
Champion
Fixes: 46

Re: Flaky YouView+ box

To be honest, from looking through the open TV faults that other customers have, there's no-one else replicating issues similar to this. It may be that it's your box specifically that's faulty.

Are you still having issues at the moment? I'm currently unable to run tests on your line for either TV Connect or Broadband, but if the issue persists we could raise as a TV fault.

Matty

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
wisty
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Matty, The problem is that it is a once every few weeks problem rather than a solid/repeatable fault. Other than this issue, the line and the TV service are fine. Once I have power cycled the box it is also fine - until the next time.

The only thing I can think of is that whenever the box updates it's channel list - and I don't know from where it gets the instruction to do that, or how it does it (over the air?) - it crashes in some way or another and either loses sound or stops altogether.

Where would we go from here.

Regards

PeeGee
Aspiring Pro

wisty wrote:

Do I have a bad YouView+ Box, or are they generally a little unstable?

My box is setup to stay in Smart standby, connected to a Samsung TV by HDMI cable. Billion 8800NL router. FTTC at 40/2.

Occasionally it will not start from standby, it sits there with the red light showing and needs power cycling to get it to work - on those occasions it has often missed programmes I have set it to record. It seems the box has crashed.

When it's working, it works fine.

That happens to me now and again, but fairly rare. The last time was immediately following a internet session drop-out whilst on holiday and a resultant off-air (not internet) failed recording. A new session started 3.5 days later (3 hours before we arrived home - must have been afraid of something Crazy2 )

Phil

Plusnet Fibre (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link TD-W9980 modem-router.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 18

Thank you for getting back to us @wisty,

If it intermittent can you just monitor this and if it becomes more of a frequent thing then please let us know and then we can investigate this for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Ben Babinski
 Plusnet Help Team
wisty
Aspiring Pro

Ben, it did it again today. I came in this evening, the box was in standby (the dimmer red light) but it refused to wake up when I used the remote control. I switched it off and back on (brighter red light), and it started up normally using the remote.

Once it had started I got the same message as before across the top of the screen

"Your available channels have changed. Youview has updated its channel list"

It had failed to record something at lunchtime, so it crashed between midnight last night (when I went to bed) and lunchtime today. My DSLstats monitor shows no loss of internet connection in that period, and a rock solid link.

How do I find out if there was a channel list change overnight? Either there was a new list overnight and my box crashes whenever it tries to update itself while in standby, or my box gets itself into a funny state where the channel list is  corrupt and has to be updated when the box restarts. Either way I think I have a flaky box.

wisty
Aspiring Pro

I've had two more minor glitches in the last week (last Thursday 24th and today 28th). Both times the box came out of standby with no sound and needed power cycling to get the sound back.

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 18

Hi @wisty

I am sorry to hear that this has happened again. Have you tried to do a factory reset on the box? If you haven't tried this then please perform a factory reset on the box and monitor how this goes. If you have tried this and still the same issues occur then please let me know as soon as possible and we may have to look at getting you an engineer out to you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Ben Babinski
 Plusnet Help Team
wisty
Aspiring Pro

I have had to do a factory reset ( keeping recordings) a couple of times. If it comes out of standby with no sound ( the most common fail) then a simple power off/on restart suffices.

However if it won't come out of standby a power off/on usually won't fix I and I have to go through the factory reset cycle.

If it happens again I will do another factory reset and see - the problem is that this usually happens when on eof us wants to watch a specific program - so the fastest reset possible is called for.

Thanks for the response.

gramachree

I have a similar problem. In October a Plusnet engineer came to my house, did a reset and hoped he could claim victory. 

Roughly every second day the box refuses to come out of SMART sleep and needs to be powered on - and it goes straight to maintenance mode. I've tried all the options that do not involve losing recordings. Sometimes it's good for three days. Sometimes I need to power on a couple of times a day.

I think it's time for a new box. But then the problem is explaining to my wife that she will lose all the recordings.

We came from Sky. Our Sky box needed a reboot every six months. 

wisty
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Ben - I am just keeping an eye on things, and using this thread to keep track.

Last night when I started it up from standby, it came up from a cold restart - could have been a power glitch I suppose, but the router never saw it ( uptime on that is 75 days+)

Today the box came out of standby with no sound. A power cycle fixed it.

It's not enough of a hassle to warrant an engineer at this frequency. If it gets worse I might ask for a replacement box.

wisty
Aspiring Pro

It crashed again today. This time when it came out of standby it was in maintenance mode, and suggesting a software reset.

I took the opportunity to do a factory reset (keeping recordings).

After the reset I checked on the software versions - and it said that the software had been updated today (16th). Versions were

Manufacturers Software 26.40.0

Component Software       3.0.47

Platform Config                 3034

ISP Config                           186

Has the box just had an update? If so then it looks like the update process causes my box to crash. If it hasn't just  been updated, then I certainly seem to have a flaky box. Will give it a couple of weeks over Christmas and see if the factory reset sorts things out.

gramachree

An engineer came and replaced the STB and remote. So far I've not had any further problems - though after just two days it's hard to come to a conclusion.

A couple of things I have noticed.

• Operating remotely is a bit fussier. It's almost like the beam is more directional or narrower. I have to be more conscious of where I'm pointing it.
  • I have also started to think that waking it up from a deep sleep is best down from the four way controller on the top of the box than the remote. 

Good luck.

John

wisty
Aspiring Pro

Factory Reset did not fix the problem. It came up again last night with no sound. Power cycle fixed it.

Looks like I will be discussing replacement of the box in the new year.

wisty
Aspiring Pro

And again last night. This time when it came out of standby it simply gave me a black screen. It had recorded a programme (19:30-20:00) before I tried to wake it up at 20:20.

Again a power cycle cured the problem. But it seems to be getting more frequent.