cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet

Shetland
Dabbler

Ethernet

Currently the YouView box is not connected to the Internet unless I plug in the Ethernet cable, which I do from time to time in order to update it.

TV is at one side of the room, router at the other so don’t have it plugged in permanently as the wire would be trailing across the room.  Also, I don’t have a spare socket on the Plusnet router. Wanted to connect wirelessly but not sure if it would work. Currently the Panasonic smart tv is connected to router via the plugs. Would it be ok to buy another set for the YV box? Trouble is, I am still short of a socket. :undecided:

4 REPLIES 4
DaveyH
All Star
Fixes: 11

Re: Ethernet

@Shetland wrote:

Currently the Panasonic smart tv is connected to router via the plugs. Would it be ok to buy another set for the YV box? Trouble is, I am still short of a socket. :undecided:

Plugs? Do you mean Homeplugs? 

If so it would be cheaper and easier just to add an ethernet switch

Baldrick1
Hero
Fixes: 89

Plug one of these (or similar) into one of the router LAN sockets and you will gain another three sockets: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ZOOJXEG/ref=twister_B07B9RSSZ1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

If you can run an Ethernet cable it will always give you the most reliable connections. If you don't feel confident to wire a permanent Ethernet link yourself then different lengths of ready terminated cables are available on line. Go for Cat 5e cable.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

I would go with what DaveyH said. Since you already have a homeplug connected to the TV, as ling as it is 200+Mb then plug a small switch (5 port/100Mb) into it and run 2 cables to the YV & TV boxes from it.
I run a cable from my router (upstairs) down to a 5 port switch downstairs to feed the TV/YB/Android box there. Luckily I can run it under the floor and through the ceiling then down a door surround so it isn't too obvious.
Highlighted
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 7

An alternative would be to get a powerline set that has multiple RJ45 plugs on at least one end. The BT 1G Miniconnector kit I have has two RJ45's on each unit.

They seem to go for £20-£25 on that well known auction site.