cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End of Plusnet TV

MasonHarris02
Hooked

End of Plusnet TV

Hi there, I just wanted to bring up something about what I heard on the phone when signing up to Plusnet. I was told that you guys will actually be soon scrapping your current TV service. Is this information I was told true and if so what does this mean for the future? Will you guys move to a similar system as BT as you are part of the BT group and offer Now TV passes for the boxes as I'm aware EE are also going to be introducing a new TV service in March which they expect to be similar to BT's product or will you be dropping it completely?

Hopefully someone can help with giving me information to this Smiley
Tags (2)
122 REPLIES 122
MC22
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: End of Plusnet TV

Personally I hope they don’t change Youview TV from Plusnet to Now TV as currently the Now TV app on my Youview Box is quite hopeless. It constantly buffers, has sound dropouts and the ‘something went wrong, please try again’ message often appears when watching Now TV on demand.

However, in my experience the Plusnet subscription channels like BT Sport, MTV and CNN work perfectly with superb picture quality 

My Services - Plusnet Fibre Extra
Tags (1)
MasonHarris02
Hooked

I understand exactly how you feel, I recently took out BT for my Nan and was originally worried about the whole Now TV system as I feel the app needs serious work and always has issues when watching live tv but I actually was surprised to see that like the old system the extra channels from now tv still appear on the TV guide so you don’t need to use the app and you can still record the now tv channels. I feel if they did it I would welcome being able to have sky sports straight from the guide but the only annoying issue to me is that all the now tv channels appear from channel 300+ on the TV guide so they aren’t categorised in the normal channels.

Personally I’ve always liked original Youview packages since it was just simple but if it means plusnet will then get to take advantage of monthly rolling tv package contracts and be able to offer the ability to buy the multiroom package like on BT TV then I would gladly appreciate the change.

I feel this potential move of EE and Plusnet moving to Youview with now tv passes shows that maybe the company that owns Youview doesn’t want to continue having to license out these channels for providers and instead want Now TV to take over that side of things for providers whilst they just provide the box and the freeview channels. As even TalkTalk have now phased out their traditional Sky Sports and Sky Cinema packages and now tell customers to use Now TV if they want them services.

JAK92
Rising Star

Hoping a staff member of plusnet can shed some light on how big the Plusnet TV changes will be as we're still with them till next August
MC22
Rising Star

A software update is now being rolled out to fix the Now TV buffering and sound dropouts.

My Youview+ box received the update last night and the Now TV app seems to be working perfectly 😀

Tags (1)
MC22
Rising Star

I spoke too soon!

Part way through watching a programme the coloured dots once again appeared on screen. I had to close the Now TV app and for some reason my Youview+ Box had lost it’s Broadband Connection.

Hopefully it was just a glitch however this is what often happened on the previous software version ☹️

JAK92
Rising Star

I did see on the youview site over the last day or so that there's an update to fix the now tv audio drop outs and buffering. Hoping it was just a one off for you and it keeps working. I'm yet to receive the update yet 😩weirdly it doesn't show under the Plusnet youview boxes of an update yet just under the bt box version 🤷‍♂️
JAK92
Rising Star

DaveCW
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

I Hope Plusnet is not dropping the TV Service. I like it. It works realy well.

Can someone from Tech Support answer this is it Plusnet TV being scrapped?

MasonHarris02
Hooked

I agree I think the TV service is really good and more competition in the TV market is always better. I feel the agent I spoke to on the phone didn't say crucial information as whilst I do believe they will be "scrapping" their TV service I feel it will just be in its current form and they'll rebrand their Youview service to take advantage of the Now TV passes that BT offer on their Youview boxes. However I guess only time will tell but in my view it looks very likely as EE also told me on the phone that they are launching a new TV service around March time that is expected to be similar to BT's offering and since Plusnet is also part of the BT Group I don't see why it wouldn't happen.

I wouldn't get too worried about it overall as this will be the most likely outcome to happen but if someone could give some more clarification on this it would be really appreciated Smiley
Tech

BT are reducing their Classic TV package next March .  Will Plusnet do the same?  Full TV service still advertised on Plusnet web page but the following on BT under Classic TV.

The following channels are being removed from this package from 1st March: Sky History, Lifetime, Crime & Investigation and Vice. From 1st April, Syfy and E! will also be removed.

sheffpete
Rising Star

Hi, Just tried to change my BT Sport pack only to be told that PN is to remove all TV options .... only leaving an app to purchase to presumably allow casting to TV, can anyone confirm ?

mrmitch85
Rising Star

It certainly sounds like something is going on, especially with the information we already have about BT and EE.

Hopefully we'll find out more soon, but if channels start to disappear and our subscription costs aren't reduced accordingly, I can't think many of us would be very happy!
JAK92
Rising Star

I'd be nice if Plusnet offered similar to what BT are now particularly with those Now TV channels on schedule but can't see it can see them scrapping their TV service altogether! 

mrmitch85
Rising Star

True. Many of the worthwhile channels on Plusnet TV are already available on NOW TV anyway. (So I am essentially paying for some of them twice). But having them directly on the TV guide (without having to load up an app) and the ability to record, makes it worth it IMO.

I'd love to know what happens to us existing customers if PN do scrap the service? I'm afraid they're not getting their DVR box back as I've since given away by previous (perfectly good) Humax recorder and I'd be left with nothing!