Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dud YouView Remote

FIXED
AndyB01
Dabbler

Dud YouView Remote

What's the game with these Youview remotes then? Six months old and I have to press it multiple times for the command to register. Browsing on here looks like I'm not alone. Got an old BT remote (identical in all respects) and that has the same problem so clearly a dud box (obvs I fitted new batteries).

What are you doing about fixing this problem PlusNet (and do not tell me to reset the box thanks).

Let's see just how good your supposed legendary customer service really is shall we.
20 REPLIES 20
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 101

Re: Dud YouView Remote

Hi there, have you set the remote to control your TV too? That can commonly be a problem. 

Either way it would be worth resetting the remote to see if that fixes the problem: https://support.youview.com/youview-box/box-and-remote/reset-your-remote-control 

Adam 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
AndyB01
Dabbler

Thanks Adam, that is better but of course it no longer operates the TV unless I re-program it. I find it odd that this fault develops over time, as I first set up the remote to drive the TV when I first got it (months ago now) but the remote has only been playing up in the last few weeks. Is there a firmware issue to the box that has caused this I wonder?

Thanks again

Andy
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 240

Hi @AndyB01, when you say this fault comes back over time, is this not the first time you've experienced this problem with the remote?

If it seems to be working fine after a reset, I'd recommend re-programming it to work for the TV again and then monitoring it to see if the same problems come back again.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet Infrastructure Operations Professional
AndyB01
Dabbler

This remote problem is driving me mad now. Despite multiple resets it is hopelessly unresponsive requiring multiple key presses to perform any function. Does anyone know if a replacement remote will resolve this (I doubt it as my old BT box remote has the same problem) or do I just have a dud box (which I now suspect is the problem).
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 720

Sorry to hear you're having issues again Andy.

We're happy to send you a replacement remote control out to try to resolve this if you want?

Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
AndyB01
Dabbler

It won't work because I have an old BT remote which is identical and exhibits exactly the same problem.

I have just had to lose all my recordings to do a factory reset of the box which has only made things marginally better. The problem is that the DTR T2120 is just a rather cheap, nasty, under-engineered and sub-standard box that is not serving your customers or your reputation well.
DS
Champion
Fixes: 22

What's the game with these Youview remotes then? Six months old and I have to press it multiple times for the command to register.

Do you also have to press it multiple times for the TV to respond?

Got an old BT remote (identical in all respects) and that has the same problem so clearly a dud box

If it's not behind a glass door in a TV cabinet, or close to other IR receivers, then it does sound like the box itself is acting up.

What are you doing about fixing this problem PlusNet

IMHO, the box should be RMA'd, under warranty if it's only 6 months old.

Let's see just how good your supposed legendary customer service really is shall we.

You could waste 30 to 60 mins and call them, ask to be put through to the TV tech team, I believe it's the same number 0800 432 0200 (the line is manned from 7.30am - 10pm, every day, though I'm not sure what hours the TV dept' work from or till). I was in contact with them a while back (not for this issue) and they authorised the replacement box for me.

I find it odd that this fault develops over time

Does the box appear to be hotter than normal? Is the top free of objects and able to 'breath'?

Is there a firmware issue to the box that has caused this I wonder?

The latest software/firmware, that I'm aware of, is 3.5.132, You could manually check for one - blue button - settings - software information - update software

Despite multiple resets it is hopelessly unresponsive requiring multiple key presses to perform any function.

Again, it does kinda point to a box issue, more so as you witness the same with the other remote

As an aside note, we've got 2 PNYV boxes here, one has got to be getting on for 2 years old now and has never had this remote issue. It will act up once in a while with other issues, but not as you've reported.

(the above is just my opinion and may differ from Plusnet's)

edit. Have you tried the BT YV box? Other customers use theirs on their PN connection.

AndyB01
Dabbler

Great answer thanks. It''s definitely the box. Come on Plusnet - replacement please; otherwise I'll have to get the old BT one out of the loft and see if that will work.

DS
Champion

otherwise I'll have to get the old BT one out of the loft and see if that will work

I would, to prove (assuming it works perfectly fine) a point.... Wink

(though PN may then say you've got a working box, even though it's not a PN one)

If it works and the PN one doesn't, I can't see how they can't replace it!

But if both are acting up, then it can only be (imho very rare) faulty remotes.

Highlighted
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 55

Fix

Hi @AndyB01 

I've sent out a new remote to you - we need to see if this helps first of all before looking into an full set top box replacement. 

Please let us know how this functions when you receive it. 

Thanks,

MoR

MoR
 Plusnet Help Team
DS
Champion

I've sent out a new remote to you

Is that in case the postie tried to post a box through the letterbox!! Cheesy

(sorry, couldn't resist - I'll get my coat)

AndyB01
Dabbler

Yeah thanks for that - because the chances of the two identical remotes I already possess developing the same fault must be what - about 14 quadrillion to 1?

That also explains why you've sent me a text to say my new router is in the post!

I can't wait to see what postie delivers - Christ, you genuinely couldn't script this.

Are you making a new storyboard to train your staff on how not to give good customer service?

This would be a great template!
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 54

Hi @AndyB01 , thanks for getting back to us.

As I'm not convinced that the remote is at fault here, I've liaised directly with our TV Tech team who have sent me through the below.

I can confirm that many other people have reported the same problem and after investigating this it appears that the Infra Red signal is being absorbed by a surrounding device (such as your TV).

To check if this is the case please turn your box away from the Infra Red signal receiver of any other device and check to see if your box will then pick up a remote action. If this does work then the issue unfortunately will happen with any other box that is sent out.

Please let us know how you get on.

(by all means, if you've already had a go of the above, please let me know)

Owen P
 Plusnet Help Team
DS
Champion

I wrote of 05/03 at 12:57am:

Got an old BT remote (identical in all respects) and that has the same problem so clearly a dud box

If it's not behind a glass door in a TV cabinet, or close to other IR receivers, then it does sound like the box itself is acting up.

Where is the box in relation to the TV?

As I'm not convinced that the remote is at fault here, ......

I can confirm that many other people have reported the same problem and after investigating this it appears that the Infra Red signal is being absorbed by a surrounding device (such as your TV).

Huh This IR issue plagued the BT Vision box too. Surely this has been overcome by now. Is it a design fault <thinking out loud> that was carried over to YV boxes?

Some users (back then) did find putting something like a post it note directly above (as in on top, not covering) the boxes IR receiver as a test.

2 x PNYV boxes here. TV on wall so YV#1 about 1 metre below and 1 foot to the left = no remote issue. YV#2 directly below TV = no remote issue. Also both remotes tuned to each TV = no remote issues

@AndyB01 this'll sound bizarre, but if your box is in a cabinet or near a HiFi/TV/remote lamp, if you put the remote right up to the IR receiver on YVbox, does it work?

you've sent me a text to say my new router is in the post!

It might actually be a box after all - BT were really bad at doing that. PN can't be, can they Wink

To check if this is the case please turn your box away from the Infra Red signal receiver of any other device

Covering other IR's near the box might provide similar results. Of if practical, move the box completely and then check.

The only other thing is, if it worked fine for a time, what's changed to cause it....?