cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Youview+ record at accurate times?

m063
Grafter

Does Youview+ record at accurate times?

I'm a long term user of a Topfield TF5800 PVR, now getting rather old, and am considering a replacement.
Plusnet TV with a YouView+ box is a possibility.
Much of the software on the TF5800 is community written (see http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/).
One key feature is to enable accurate recording by a) allowing pre- and post-padding to the recording and b) responding to the start and stop broadcast signals.
I wondered what experience there is of YouView+ recording at accurate times? Particularly if a programme starts late.
Thanks
Martin
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Does Youview+ record at accurate times?

It doesn't use accurate timing, it uses the BROADCASTER's timing. I.e. it comes from the guide only. If the program under/over runs then it is part missed, same as ALL Freeview + boxes.
There is no buffer time you can set.
orrery
Grafter

Quote from: m063
I wondered what experience there is of YouView+ recording at accurate times? Particularly if a programme starts late.
Thanks
Martin

I've had a Youview+ box for a few years now, and it all seems pretty accurate. It can cut the intro to a programme - when you start playback the programme is already running, but I'm sure that it is only seconds. I've not had an incidence of parts of a programme being missed if it runs late, or chopped at the end - but, it is possible to get the wrong programme recorded if the schedule changes. I've also had a few 'Recording Failed' for no apparent reason.
I've just switched to renting the PN Youview+ box after my old one failed (it was replaced twice under warranty) - the functionality is great but the reliability is the worst I've ever experienced for this type of product. Much better to rent than buy.
wisty
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: orrery
renting the PN Youview+ box

Pedantically you are not renting the PlusNet YouView+ Box, you have bought it on extended payment terms - the term of the payment being the contract period you signed up for. However it does have the benefit of an extended warranty for the same period. Break the contract and I am fairly sure they will bill you for the box.
mfdaustrey

Have had Youview+ for over a year. The only problem we've had with the recording is "Murdoch". This starts to record earlier than anything else and we always miss the last 30 seconds. Everything else is perfect.