Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discontinuation of Freeview

FIXED
StephenMidlane
Hooked

Discontinuation of Freeview

I have had an email advising me to download BT TV as the Freeview service will cease this coming Tuesday. Will this affect my TV set ? It is an old Panasonic. As far as I can see it doesn't have an App store on it do I can't find BT TV. I am using a Freeview box. Will I be unable to view any TV or access players and apps after Tuesday? As you can tell I am not very tech savvy!
11 REPLIES 11
jgb
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 15

Re: Discontinuation of Freeview

@StephenMidlane

This doesn't sound right. I cannot find any news  of Freeview ceasing next week nor even any need to retune then due to impending channel changes.

Who was the email from? It could be a scam. Do NOT click on any link in the email that supposedly takes you to a download site for BT TV .

If you use a Freeview box to access Freeview then the age of your old Panasonic TV should be irrelevant. Sometimes specific apps on smart TVs etc., do cease to work as the updated versions will not work on some older models but that does not sound like the warning you have had.

Jaggies
Community Veteran

This is almost certainly the retirement of the YouView mobile app, which is being replaced by the BTTV app, so unless you have a Plusnet TV subscription, it won't affect you.

djcjuk
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

It is the you Youview app that will stop working not Freeview.

StephenMidlane
Hooked

Thanks jgb. The email looks genuine. It's from plusnet@comm.plus.net. it quotes my username correctly and doesn't include any suspect links. It says "The new BT TV app is available now and is a great way to manage your service remotely. This will replace the YouView App which will no longer be in service from 31st March 2020."
StephenMidlane
Hooked

I am signed up with Plusnet TV !
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

As the email clearly states it's about the discontinuation of the Youview app (and directing you to use the BT app instead) and nothing whatsoever to do with Freeview

jgb
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 15

@StephenMidlane 

This webpage gives some info on the discontinuance of the YouView mobile app and the changes to the BT App from 31 March.

StephenMidlane
Hooked

Sorry everyone. I was confusing Freeview and YouView. But it is YouView that we use - a YouView box and remote control. Will the removal of the app mean we can no longer access our usual TV services, players and apps?
StephenMidlane
Hooked

If so, how do I acquire BT TV when my TV set appears to have no app store on it?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,291

Fix

If you don't already use the YouView app on your phone / tablet then you don't need to worry.
It's only the app that sends requests to record to your box that is retiring nothing else.

Nothing on your YouView box or TV is changing or needs to change Smiley

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
StephenMidlane
Hooked

Thanks Dvorak. That's very clear and reassuring.

Would not be a good time to be contemplating the loss of TV!