cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disability issue with new YouView user interface

evilandi
Dabbler

Disability issue with new YouView user interface

The new YouView interface is extremely difficult for colour vision deficient people such as myself. In particular, I cannot read names of recorded programmes in the MyTV section, since they are overlaid on confusing tiles of colourful screenshots. Using the "zoom" function makes no difference to my colour vision deficiency.

Here's my email to YouView:

Hi, I am colour vision deficient (red-green colour blind, the most common type of colour blindness, and the most common disability in the UK, between 1 in 8 and 1 in 12 males have some degree of colour blindness).

I cannot read the names of my recorded programmes under MyTV on the new user interface that was updated last week. This is because the text is in front of a colourful snapshot of the programme, which makes it difficult or impossible to read.

How do I make it so that I can read the programme names in MyTV? For example, how do I turn off the screenshot tiles and return to a simple list?

If it helps, I can make a formal complaint along the lines of disability discrimination, but hopefully you will have a simpler solution for me.

5 REPLIES
agedgopher
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Disability issue with new YouView user interface

@evilandi

Well done a well composed email. It is strong detailed and very specific. Hope you get the desired response.

Sadly I feel that the recent YouView update is more of a programmers ego trip rather that a response to the needs and wishes of the public that they are supposed to be serving.

Visionman
Hooked

evilandi wrote:

The new YouView interface is extremely difficult for colour vision deficient people such as myself. In particular, I cannot read names of recorded programmes in the MyTV section, since they are overlaid on confusing tiles of colourful screenshots. Using the "zoom" function makes no difference to my colour vision deficiency.

Here's my email to YouView:

Hi, I am colour vision deficient (red-green colour blind, the most common type of colour blindness, and the most common disability in the UK, between 1 in 8 and 1 in 12 males have some degree of colour blindness).

I cannot read the names of my recorded programmes under MyTV on the new user interface that was updated last week. This is because the text is in front of a colourful snapshot of the programme, which makes it difficult or impossible to read.

How do I make it so that I can read the programme names in MyTV? For example, how do I turn off the screenshot tiles and return to a simple list?

If it helps, I can make a formal complaint along the lines of disability discrimination, but hopefully you will have a simpler solution for me.

Does this help you, evilandi? -

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/youview-nextgen-accessibility-features

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Two duplicate posts released from Spam Filter and removed from thread.

bluewhale
Grafter

Sadly I feel that the recent YouView update is more of a programmers ego trip 

have to disagree on that, it looks like something that management have pushed for to make it seem like it's keeping up with virgin and sky

i do think though that they've done a core rewrite which is why lots of the detailed features have gone missing, probably because of a poorly tested/documented original system, as bad as the update is, maybe things will improve going forward, you can only hope

still no real folders i note...

Visionman
Hooked

"Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Two duplicate posts released from Spam Filter and removed from thread."

My apologies. That was my fault being a newbie and all that. And I'm still getting to grips with it. What platform does this PN forum use? I can/should be able to take it forward from there...

Fixes: 115

@Visionman

No apology necessary. The Spam Filter occasionally catches the odd post that isn't spam which then gets released.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still