cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control my soundbar

JAK92
Dabbler

Control my soundbar

I don't know if it's possible it probably isn't but just incase does anyone know how or if it's possible to get my soundbar connected to my YouView remote? Managed to get the TV connected but it doesn't control the soundbar just the TV sound which is 0 anyway! 

8 REPLIES 8
Marksfish
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Control my soundbar

Do you have a headphone socket on your bar/ tv? I ran a cable from/ to there and the TV/ Sky remote controls the volume as normal.

JAK92
Dabbler

Interesting! I'll have to check that out I'm guessing sound quality is just as good as a optical audio lead that it currently has?
Marksfish
Pro
Fixes: 4

Didn't realise you had an optical lead. Mine doesn't have one fitted, I would assume the sound won't be as good, but it is perfectly acceptable for us. Maybe a work around until you can get a definitive answer? 

Mook
Aspiring Pro

@JAK92, unless the YouView remote supports multiple devices (i.e. some form of Universal Remote) then I doubt it will be able to control your SoundBar.

However, it should be capable of controlling the audio level, so if you can get the AV output from your YouView box into the SoundBar then out again via an HDMI (or optical if you have dual ports) to the TV, when you alter the volume on the YouView remote you'll hear it through the SoundBar.

@Marksfish  Optical I/O is by far the best option.

JAK92
Dabbler

@Marksfish I might give it ago see if there's much difference.

@Mook I think that's the issue the soundbar is a few years old so doesn't have the HDMI option it has optical straight into the TV however the remote (now I've set it up to control tv) just controls TV volume only not the soundbar. Whether an AV cable could do it as I have them ports too who knows, we are due a soundbar upgrade to be fair! 

Mook
Aspiring Pro

@JAK92 Rather than have the optical connection going to the TV would it not make sense to have it connected to the source rather than the target. Remove the optical lead from the TV and connect it to the YouView box after all this is where the sound comes from so you should be able to control it using the YouView volume.

JAK92
Dabbler

Yeah actually it probably would be will it still work the volume on the remote now even though I've set it to control TV?
Mook
Aspiring Pro

Yes assuming you're watching TV through the YouView box. It after all is the source of the sound you want to control, so you feed that to your soundbar via the optical cable and send the video (and sound) to the TV via HDMI. As the TV is muted you'll not hear anything, so using the volume control on the YouView remote will control the volume to the soundbar.