Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compatible routers?

michaelm713
Dabbler

Compatible routers?

Hi all
First post here but not a new PlusNet customer as such. Apart from a brief stint with BT, i have been with Plus Net for a long time (a good 10 years i think!)
I am excited to hear about PlusNet TV but i had a few questions over routers.
First my Setup. I currently use an Airport Extreme (latest gen) with an Openreach modem and all works well. My entrire house apart from mobile devices is on Ethernet. I have Synology NAS in the loft with a few TB of movies that the family streams around the house and outside the house remotely. All thats works just fine with no issues with the help of Plex Media Server and very very powerful PC in the loft.
My questions are:

• I don't currently have the PlusNet router. Is it Gigabit Ethernet enabled?

• Is it a modem router or do i need to still use the Openreach Modem?

• Assuming it does have a modem in it, can i just use it as a modem and utilise my Airport Extreme as Wireless router?

• Since i dont currently have a PlusNet router, will i have to pay for it in order to get PlusNet TV or will it be sent to me FOC plus P&P?

The reason why i ask all this, a while back i was trialing the IP channels for BT using the Humax T1000 box. During the trial, it was a mess for my setup cause i had to use the BT HH4 in order for the BT Vision to work as it was multicast and the Airport Extreme did not play nice so it was in Bridge Mode to accommodate the rest of the devices. To make matters worst i had to put my NAS on the DMZ zone of the HH4 as there was no other way to access the server remotely which was a pain.
I am sure i am not the only person with similar setups. If the Plus Net router is GiGabit then i am willing to park my Airport Extreme or use it as an AP instead of a router. Alternatively if  you can give us a list of third party confirmed multicast enabled routers that would be great too.
Even better...if you are trialing a gbit router - happy to help!!!
Thanks guys
Michael
40 REPLIES
Fixes: 101

Re: Compatible routers?

the router needs to be IGMP enabled, an Airport Extreme (still) won't work on its own.
plusnet router isn't gigabit.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Any router that works with BT TV will work with Plusnet TV, there's an old-ish list on the BT forums that might help: https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/Known-Routers-to-Work-with-Multicast-IGMP/td-p/994338
PN router requires BT Modem.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
michaelm713
Dabbler

Hmmm
This is proving a bit tricky for me then - and i am sure other as well.
I am not an advocate of Apple's Airport Extreme as i am sure there are other routers out there more powerful and more customisable but the multicast is a sticky point. That router was right for me at the time and in all fairness, it has never failed me and i am happy with the performance plus it does not look like an ugly brick...
For me, not only i would have to replace the router with a new one say £100 as a budget figure, then is the monthly cost, plus the £50 activation. I could probably sell on the Apple one and make some of that back but i am not sure it is worth the effort and setting up everything up from scratch again.
That list was excellent by the way and although old, it lead me to the netgear nighthawk R800 but currently at £199 on Amazon....seems to me a lot of effort for a few channels unless PlusNet waive the £50 Tongue!!
Community Veteran

The Billion 8800NL has multicast. Cost <£70 from Amazon and it doesn't need the BT modem as it's built in!  Grin
Geoff,
York.
michaelm713
Dabbler

Quote from: NedLudd
The Billion 8800NL has multicast. Cost <£70 from Amazon and it doesn't need the BT modem as it's built in!  Grin

Yes it is and i heard good reports from others but i do need multiple GigaBit ports and AC Wifi to accommodate a MacBook. Not essential i know but since we did purchase AC routers and AC laptops...we migh as well use the AC functionality.
Also i noticed on the BT Forums link earlier, there was a special configuration required for the billion routers. I am just concerned if i was to change these settings for one service/device what effect it will have on others.
Besides, i do also subscribe to NowTV which gives me a lot of the channels included and most importantly, they are not tethered to my living room. I can use NowTV outside the house on my Tablet/laptop.

Community Veteran

I saw a suggestion elsewhere to put the Airport in Bridge Mode and connect it to another router (with wi-fi disabled on the other one), not sure how much that might help, also I don't think that solves the GB ports requirement at all (unless you fancy yet another box since a GB switch isn't that pricey).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Fixes: 101

that's pretty much what I do (except sever gigabit switches)..
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

@ michaelm713
The Billion BiPAC 8800AXL is virtually the same as the 8800NL, but with GB-E and AC wireless, so should meet your requirements should you change your mind. They're a bit lot more expensive at around £135.
michaelm713
Dabbler

Quote from: w23
I saw a suggestion elsewhere to put the Airport in Bridge Mode and connect it to another router (with wi-fi disabled on the other one), not sure how much that might help, also I don't think that solves the GB ports requirement at all (unless you fancy yet another box since a GB switch isn't that pricey).

Thanks again!
I had done that previously when i was trialing for BT and had the HH4 as modem only with an ethernet cable from the HH4 to the YouView box directly to the Living room to a 16port Gigabit switch and the Airport as a bridge to handle Wifi and a further Ethernet cable from the Airport heading up to the Study and from there to the loft.
Rather limited on space as Openreach modem is in the hall and adding gigabit switches there will drive the wife mad, not to mention the 2 year old twins attracted by all the shiny lights  Grin
Think really...you are all  too polite to say: 'get rid of the Apple hardware and get a proper router!'
in the HH4's case though, i had to put my NAS on DMZ and although i am not an expert this makes it open to attacks etc as it is beyond the firewall. I remember getting pings all the time of failed logins. Luckilly the Synology has an autoblock system which seems to be effective
michaelm713
Dabbler

Well...earlier today I discovered I still have the old BT home hub 3 in the loft. Does that support multicast and can I use it as a modem with PlusNet login details and the AirPort Extreme in Bridge mode?
Where does the openreach modem fit into this?
Thanks.
(I am clearly determined to get PlusNet TV!)
Community Veteran

Pretty certain that the HH3 does not work as a VDSL (FTTC) modem but it may work with the BTO modem (not sure if there were different ersions for ASDL and FTTC), I believe it should support multicast.
You can use the HH3 with Plusnet login details (search HH3 on here).
Call me 'w23'
Community Veteran

Yes, the HH3 needs the OR modem - it has the red BT Infinity socket, which connects to the modem , also 4 Ethernet ports, but only one is GigE.
It also has a USB port, but off the top of my head I don't remember if it is for a printer or a USB HDD or Memory Stick (or both). I'm fairly sure it doesn't support a 3G/4G dongle in the event of loss of broadband.
Community Veteran

Thanks Jaggies, I was hoping someone with direct knowledge of the HH3 would respond. Smiley
Call me 'w23'
michaelm713
Dabbler

Thanks all!
So looks like I am heading for three boxes to achieve this.
The one GigE port is not so much of an issue as I assume I can send that to the Apple AirPort Extreme and maintain the GigE connection to the rest of the devices directly connected.
Only issue with that is that I will have to run the YouView box on the non GigE port directly from the home hub. Will there be sufficient bandwidth for that?
One thing I recall from previous testing with similar testing was that once tuned in to a multicast channel, the wifi ....was destroyed! Not even able to browse!
Will have a shot at setting it up this  weekend and see how everything works.
If I do end up going for the Billion router/modem sigested earlier, does any one know the configuration required to make multicast work?
Thanks again!
Michael