cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing from Sky tv phone internet to Plus net

yves

Changing from Sky tv phone internet to Plus net

Hello,

I am seeking a replacement package for my mother whom at the moment has a standard sky package for phone, internet and tv without any extras other than being able to record tv.

I have checked her address and phone line with plus net and she does not have the fibre option.

As far as I can tell she is eligible for Unlimited standard broadband at £19.99 per month with no extra activation fee, (if booked on line),  and a phone package called 'Unlimited UK & Mobile Calls' for an extra £8.00 per month.

However I cannot find any reference to a tv package. I would want her to still be able to record TV but she only wants the standard channels without any permium channels but still having access to iplayer/itv hub etc.

Can someone please inform me where I can see the 'TV add ons' and check the prices before changing her over to plus net? Or does plus net only offer TV along with phone and internet for clients who have access to 'fibre'?

Thank you.

5 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 21

Re: Changing from Sky tv phone internet to Plus net

Hi there yves@

I'm really sorry but we don't have facility for TV on none Fibre services.

However, have you considered purchasing an Amazon Fire TV stick for your mother if she would like catch up channels?

There are a multitude of devices out there that can facilitate this for your mother.

I'm really sorry that Fibre isn't available at the moment. You can keep tabs on Fibre availability by checking the address on:

broadbandchoices

DSL Checker

Kind Regards

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 OllieC
 Plusnet Help Team
yves

Hello again Ollie,

thank you for the swift reply and the information. I used the link to the broadband checker in your post and discovered that mum is eleigible for fibre. Maybe I put the number in wrong in my original attempt on the plus net website!

Mum is 90 and although very active, (zip wire over eden project last year), she is not brilliant with digital technology.

At present I pay £62 pounds a month to sky for standard broadband, just the standard no premium channel tv package and phone but no included calls. This is much too much. Checking many comparison and trust/review sites, it seems plusnet come out top for service and content.

If you can still help, would you please be able to answer these following questions for me?

Firstly I believe mum can have the 'Unlimited fibre' at £23.99 per month and the 'Anytime UK & Mobile calls' for an extra £8.00 per month. (running total £31.99 per month with no set up fees).

Would she need one of the 'Youview' TV boxes, or is standard freeview tv available via the fibre internet?

If she needs a box which I believe would be an extra £5.00 per month (running total £36.99 per month but with a one off payment of £6.99 or £57.99), which one would you suggest for her needs? please remeber she does not have any need for any premium channels, just freeview and the ability to EASILY set up recordings direct from the handset remote control; anyhting even a little more complicated than how she uses sky to watch and record free to air channels will confuse her and result almost daily in phone calls to us to help her out remotely.

Why is there such a large difference between the one of set up fees for the two different boxes?

When the broadband and phone are changed over from Sky to Plusnet will mum lose TV channels until the 'Youview Tv box' can be installed and set up/activated?

Finally, if we order this package, do we first have to order the broadband/phone and then when that is set up order the tv package or can that be delivered at the same time.

I ask because I actually live in France and Mum is in UK but I will be over from 16th Feb until 21st of Feb and would need to have everything being set up/installed during those 6 days to ensure a smooth transition and for me to be able to show mum how to use everything before I return home. If I can not order the tv box before the broadband is set up, I assume it would not arrive in time, before I return home and mum will not be able to instal it and set up on her own.

Ollie, thank you for your time and patience in replying to my lengthy requests. I am minded to change to plusnet but need to be sure mum will manage with little or no confusion for her.

Regards, Yves.

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 21

Hi yves@

Please feel free to contact out Sales team who will be more than happy to discuss options for your mother.

0800 432 0080

Opening Times:

8am - 8pm Monday to Friday 
9am - 7pm Saturday 
9am - 6pm Sunday 

All break downs of packages can be discussed with our dedicated team Smiley

Kind Regards

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 OllieC
 Plusnet Help Team
yves

Ok thanks Ollie but as I said I'm in France. My package gives me free calls to normal landline numbers but 08, 07, 03, etc cost nearly a euro a minute which is why I was using this forum to check whether or not everything my mum needs can be achieved by being with Plusnet instead of Sky.

I spent more than an hour on their 03 number trying to make them realise that my 90 year old mother wnated to either leave them for a better service or to have her monthly fee cut and have some included phone calls. They eventually told me and I quote, "I'll cut her off right now if you want, then it will cost you much more to be reconected to whatever new provider you find"!

Not the best customer service I've ever recieved and please understand I am 'old school. I never raise my voice and never disrespect someone I've contacted simply because they are at work and doing the job they have to do.

Ollie, is there any way you can answer my original queries from the last email so I can then make an informed decision?

Thanks, Yves.

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 17

Hi @yves, thanks for getting back to us. In answer to your original questions:

Would she need one of the 'Youview' TV boxes, or is standard freeview tv available via the fibre internet?

- If she has a TV with built in Freeview, then this doesn't require Fibre Internet (or internet at all to be honest). If she is wanting TV through us then a YouView Box (and a fibre connection) would be required.

If she needs a box which I believe would be an extra £5.00 per month (running total £36.99 per month but with a one off payment of £6.99 or £57.99), which one would you suggest for her needs?

- The £5 a month is a standard monthly cost and gets 20 premium entertainment channels and BT Sport Lite, the box as standard has access to your usual freeview channels. If she is wanting to be able to record live TV, then she would need the YouView plus (which has the upfront cost of £57.99). If she wanted it just for the ability to watch the channels then standard YouView (£6.99 upfront one) would be fine.

Why is there such a large difference between the one of set up fees for the two different boxes?

- The YouView+ has a more expensive one off as the box has the ability to pause and rewind live TV, access to the demand players (such as ITV player), record and store programs.

When the broadband and phone are changed over from Sky to Plusnet will mum lose TV channels until the 'Youview Tv box' can be installed and set up/activated?

- A Sky Box can be used to watch the free youview channels without having an active Sky subscription, so although she wouldn't be able to watch any channels that she paid for (or be able to record or use the pause, rewind etc function), she would be able to use the Sky box to watch normal freeview TV in the time being.

Finally, if we order this package, do we first have to order the broadband/phone and then when that is set up order the tv package or can that be delivered at the same time.

The phone and broadband would need to be set up and active first. Before ordering YouView we have to be sure the Fibre connection will be good enough to deliver YouView.

I hope this answers your questions and please let me know if you need me to explain anything further or if there is anything I missed!

**Edited layout to make it look a bit clearer**

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team