cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cast BT sport to LG tv

willsth6851

Cast BT sport to LG tv

I have just signed up with Plus net for BT sport app on my Android only £1 per month. I want to cast to my smart LG TV,  do I need to purchase chromecast or can I use a free cast app ?Huh

6 REPLIES
scoobyjones1
Dabbler

Re: Cast BT sport to LG tv

First of all...how did you get that for only £1 a month?!

I can cast from my Samsung S7 edge to LG smart TV using "Smart View" which is on the phone already...you don't need an app this way. If you don't have Smart View there are a lot of free apps out there for screen casting....you don't need to buy a Chromecast stick.

However....the picture on the larger screen is very jerky and juddery.....a lot of frames missing....compared with Smart TV apps like Now TV which streams a lot smoother. BT  / Plusnet need to introduce a dedicated app for smart TV's....there must be millions of them out there now. The picture could be much improved, a la Netflix / Amazon. I don't know why the BT app is so jerky....maybe it uses Flash which is not good for streaming? 

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 235

Hi there.

As far as I'm aware, to cast over to your TV you'll need either a Chromecast or Apple TV. More info can be found over here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Blogs/How-to-cast-to-your-TV/ba-p/1463923a

However, it may be worth trying @scoobyjones1's suggestion first.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
Stoker
Grafter

I have an HTC 10 (Android) and can cast to my LG smart TV without any extra hardware. There are several free Miracast apps around.

HOWEVER, even though BT Sport plays fine on my phone, when I cast to TV the picture stutters, I guess it's overloading the phone's WiFi interface as it has to both receive and transmit in real time.

I've ordered a cheap (£4) USB-C to HDMI adapter from eBay; it's coming from China so will take a few weeks and will hopefully solve the problem.

(ps The £1 deal is a special offer for 6 months)

RichardB
Pro
Fixes: 3

scoobyjones1 wrote:

I can cast from my Samsung S7 edge to LG smart TV using "Smart View" which is on the phone already...you don't need an app this way. If you don't have Smart View there are a lot of free apps out there for screen casting....you don't need to buy a Chromecast stick.

However....the picture on the larger screen is very jerky and juddery.....a lot of frames missing....compared with Smart TV apps like Now TV which streams a lot smoother.

I guess that is because using SmartView the S7 is streaming the video from BT sport & then forwarding it to the TV?

When using a Chromecast once cast to the TV the phone no longer streams the video it is handed off to the Chromecast to stream directly. The phone only acts as a remote control.

There is also a configuration setting in the Chromecast to set the HMDI output to 50Hz frame rate (used by UK TV) rather than the default 60Hz (used by US TV). 

Once set to 50Hz the BT sport picture on my TV is much smoother - not jerky. No missing fames.

Richard

stereohaven
Rising Star
Fixes: 4

Another vote here for buying a Chromecast, it does provide the smoothest viewing experience. AirPlay via an Apple TV is functional and fairly smooth but the picture still isn't as good because your phone/tablet is doing some of the work.

Stoker
Grafter

I've ordered a cheap (£4) USB-C to HDMI adapter from eBay ...

Well that MHL interface adapter didn't work at all, so I got a Display Port cable for £9 and that works perfectly; no buffering/lag at all and no problem mirroring the BT Sport app. It looks very good on a 55" OLED screen.