Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot record BT Sport - error IPC6026

FIXED
DavRo
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Cannot record BT Sport - error IPC6026

We last recorded BT Sport a couple of months ago.

We tried to record Eurosport during the olympics, but all the recordings failed with:

"Recording unavailable. Check the connection between your box and the router then restart the router. IPC6026"

The box always confirmed it had a wired connection and an IP address. I've restarted the router several times.

We hoped this was just Eurosport - which we've never recorded before - but we've now had two such failures to record BT Sport. We can watch BT sport and record it at the same time (though I haven't exhaustively tested that) - it seems to be timed recordings that fail.

IPC6026 seems unusual. No hits here or on Google.

The router (s/n: 081441 NQ64014658) has f/w 4.7.5.1.83.8.289.1 updated 15/7/21 which is suspicious.

The router was powered down for 10 days starting mid-morning on 15/7, in case that's relevant.

(I have a spare router somewhere - see my thread from 11/20 - so if I need to try a new router don't send another one!)

I see, reading the forum, that the IP TV is being discontinued. My contract lasts till May.

11 REPLIES 11
adam945
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 51

Re: Cannot record BT Sport - error IPC6026

Hi @DavRo

Thanks for reaching out and I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems recording BT Sport. The most common issue that stops programmes being recording is when there is any change to the scheduling on the day itself. Do you know whether the scheduled time of your programme changed at all?

If they didn't, I'd suggest having a word with our TV support Team, give us a call on 0800 432 0200. Smiley

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
DavRo
Rising Star

I think that the recording problem is related to another, which seemed to appear at the same time. If the box is left on IPTV (BT Sport 1, say), when it starts up it often displays an error:
There's a problem with your broadband affecting BT Sport 1.
Check the connection etc. IPC6004
I dismiss that and BT Sport 1 plays.

Meanwhile, some test recordings have succeeded, most fail. I'm investigating whether there is a pattern to that - sleep state or something.

Is this more likely to be the box or the router? I suspect the box. I have a spare one of those, too, but the firmware will be old.

Was that router f/w update concerned with IPTV? Is there a change log? Bob?

Thanks Adam. I hope to narrow this down more - to the box or the broadband.
Do the TV Support team read, or at least have access to, this forum, so I can refer to it if I phone up? Hopefully they will recognise this IPC6004 error,
adam945
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 51

Thanks for your response @DavRo

I can't imagine this to be an issue with the router itself, though again this is something which our TV support guys would be able to look into. They don't read the forums but should have access to it if you direct them to your profile.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
DavRo
Rising Star

On a BT website I found a list of the IPC codes. It didn't actually say what any of them means (has anybody found such a site?) but  as well as advising the usual reboots it said to check that both the box software and the apps are up to date.

Both software and apps say last checked today.

If I click 'update software' it checks and reports it's up to date.

If I click 'update apps' is says "We can't update your apps. Please try again later or visit support.youview.com"

Is that an error, or just a confusing way of saying it's already up to date? There is nothing useful on the support website.

It is interesting because one variety of IPC6004 error - "You need to set up BT Sport N or add it to your subscription." - is followed by a purple screen "Loading app" with a throbber. It never used to do that.

(I've never had the TV remote recording app, and I don't have the BT Sport app, BTW. )

So, can I ask for some audience participation? If you have a YouView Box, can you try the Update Apps button. Does it normally say 'Your apps are up to date' or some such?

DavRo
Rising Star

Nobody?
Gandalf
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 1,148

As someone who’s has had a fair bit of experience with YouView issues, I thought I’d drop by here.

If you can watch and record BT Sport at the same time, there shouldn’t be anything on the YouView side of things our side affecting it from scheduling recordings.

That error code seems to suggest a connection issue which may be to do with the router or the set top box.

As far as I’m aware there’s no publicly available changelog for our routers firmware but I doubt the firmware itself is the cause of the issue. Happy to be proven wrong. 

I’d recommend going through a bit of trial and error:

• Factory reset your router by pushing something pointy into the reset pin hole at the back for 20 seconds then wait for the router to start up
  • Factory reset your set top box although you may likely lose all your existing recordings: https://support.youview.com/youview-box/box-and-remote/factory-reset-your-box/
  • Try your other router
  • Try your other set top box 
  • Connect your YouView box straight to the router using an ethernet cable without a powerline adapter or switch in place (if not already)

^in no particular order. Let us know how it goes. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
DavRo
Rising Star

Hi @Gandalf  Thanks for joining in.

I don't think it's the router or the cable between that and the boxes. That the router updated its f/w (for the first time in months) on the day I turned it off for a week (very probably in the early morning) is probably a red-herring.

Of the things you suggest I've tried them all except the factory resets but I'll do that if necessary.

I've been setting up test recordings every day. About 50% fail. There seems to be no pattern - whether the box in deep/shallow sleep or turned on, and what channel it's left on.

I'm still getting "We cannot update your apps. Try again later" which seems to indicate a problem with the box.

My next step is to try the spare box (if I can find it) since I understand (from this earlier question that it doesn't have to be registered to the account.

BUT I would like someone to verify that the "We cannot update your apps." message is not just its normal way of saying that the apps are up to date. That should be simple for someone to test. That message might be a red herring too.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,291

@DavRo wrote:

So, can I ask for some audience participation? If you have a YouView Box, can you try the Update Apps button. Does it normally say 'Your apps are up to date' or some such?

Yeah, I just checked mine and it says exactly that.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
DavRo
Rising Star

Thanks @dvorak.

That strongly suggests a problem with the box. A factory reset would probably fix it - and lose my recordings.

Off to dig out the spare box.
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 63

Hi @DavRo, let us know how you get on with the checks and if you require any further support in the meantime just get back to us.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
DavRo
Rising Star

Fix

Installing the spare youView box seems to have solved the problem. It's now recording from IPTV OK. And I get the 'apps are up to date' message.

So the key to solving this was the advice on the BT site: check the software and apps are up to date. If the apps won't update that might cause IPC6004 and IPC6026 errors.

If you don't have a spare box, watch all your recordings then do a factory reset.

Thanks to @Gandalf and @dvorak for your help.