cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use my Youview+ box from my old supplier?

FIXED
Highlighted
Inhaler90
Hooked

Can I use my Youview+ box from my old supplier?

Hi,

I've just joined PlusNet broadband and I would like to add TV to my package. I have a YouView+ box from my old supplier that I have just left (TalkTalk). Will this work? I am just trying to figure out whether I need to spend nearly £60 on a new YouView+ box, if that would work and the technology hasn't changed that much in 18 months.

Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6
Mallett94
Hooked

Re: Can I use my Youview+ box from my old supplier?

Officially no. Unofficially, from multiple people's experience, yes.

If I were you I would order the TV but only order the 'zapper' box, i.e. the non recordable box (which costs like £6.99).

When the box arrives, set it up and wait until your channels have been activated and are successfully working on the PlusNet box. Once they are, turn off the box and then also turn off your internet overnight. In the morning, hook your old youview + box up and retune it (sometimes doing a maintenance mode reset where you keep your recordings is needed) and this should pull in all of the PlusNet channels.

I would keep the zapper box around though in case you ever need to troubleshoot any potential future issues.

Cheers.
Inhaler90
Hooked

That was roughly my thought, thank you. I would be interested to see what Plusnet says as well. I wonder, if I order the non-recordable box for now, in the future could I upgrade to the recordable one?
Plusnet Alumni (retired) Dumbledore
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 34

Fix

Hello @Inhaler90 thank you for your inquiry,

Unfortunately, we will not be able to supply your YouView services on your current box, you will need to purchase the device from ourselves and any packages you choose we will enable this onto your account.

If you do order the non-recordable box and later wished to upgrade to the recordable device, you will have to pay the standard retail price of the box which is £125.00.

However, if you waited until the contract ends, you can receive the box for a discounted rate. Currently, we charge £57.99 upfront for the device.

Should you require any further assistance, please feel free to get back in touch with us.

Kind regards.

Inhaler90
Hooked

Hi @Dumbledore,

Thank you for the response. It did make me weary of taking my chances with the old Youview+ box, and then I found out that actually my old provider requires it back after all, even though they haven't requested it yet.

I called up yesterday evening and ordered TV with the Youview+ box. The whole package is very good value anyway. The person I talked to (Marcus) was fantastic, it was a perfect first interaction by phone with Plusnet. I was almost a bit disappointed that there was no feedback mechanism (or at least I haven't received one yet) to capture that, as I was quite impressed. Overall, I am very pleased.
Plusnet Alumni (retired) Dumbledore
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 34

Hello @Inhaler90 I am pleased to hear you have managed to sort the matter out and our advisor was helpful during the process Smiley

I will forward your message/feedback across to Marcus' Line Manager, I appreciate that you have taken the time to let us know that a member of our team interaction with you was a positive experience.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance form ourselves, we are always happy to help.

Best wishes.

Inhaler90
Hooked

Thank you @Dumbledore  - just let me know if you need the surname.