cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Ultra HD box going to waste and therefore I'm not subbing sadly!

FIXED
scoobyjones1
Dabbler

BT Ultra HD box going to waste and therefore I'm not subbing sadly!

I have a very high quality youview ultra HD box from BT. I switched from BT broadband to Plusnet fibre extra and phone package...we also have 2 x mobile contracts with Plusnet. I wanted to add a plusnet tv subscription but was told it would not work with my existing BT branded youview box. Therefore I will not be subscribing....what a shame. Sky will let you sub with a secondhand Sky set top box, surely there's a way to reset the BT youview Ultra HD box and view the extra plusnet subscription channels...ie BT sport HD...which would be great for the Ashes coming up! :-) Maybe the soon to be released App will be the answer? I hope so....otherwise I will have to go back to BT again....groan    ;-(

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES
mickr62
Grafter

Re: BT Ultra HD box going to waste and therefore I'm not subbing sadly!

I am Shaw that your bt box will work with plusnet tv and also the humax box.Perhaps others can confirm this, but you will not get 4k . Its just that plusnet will not guarantee it.

Mickr 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I've got an xBT YV box that works perfectly with PN YV. Its the SAME box that PN supply just BT branded.
As stated you will NOT get any 4K stuff though. Unless it is via one of the apps maybe, don't know just barely got HD here.
stereohaven
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Fix

scoobyjones1 wrote:

I have a very high quality youview ultra HD box from BT........surely there's a way to reset the BT youview Ultra HD box and view the extra plusnet subscription channels...ie BT sport HD...which would be great for the Ashes coming up! :-) 

Your BT box will work fine on the Plusnet TV network.

I have used a normal retail Humax box (the silver ones), before instead of the box supplied by Plusnet. When you plug it in it will identify the broadband line provider (BT, Plusnet or TalkTalk), and download the ISP profile which appears to confirm which branding and channels you can access (subscription dependant). 

However, to set up Plusnet TV they insist on you taking one of their boxes or they can't open a TV account, nor can they support your BT box if it goes wrong.

If your order their zapper box (only £7 upfront I think), then they can set up your account, use it to get your TV service up and running then swap it for the BT box:

YouView "Zapper" boxYouView "Zapper" box

scoobyjones1
Dabbler

Thanks Stereohaven....I kind of thought that might be the case. For now I have gone to the BT Sport app....it's a bit juddery but hopefully it will improve. To get BT Sports in HD on Plusnet TV gets quite expensive I think? I might have to do it though if the app is terrible to watch the Ashes on! I am already paying £40 a month for plusnet phone and fibre (and the BT app)...plus £12 for 2 sim contracts...to add TV...then sports....then HD...well, I would want a better package deal otherwise I may as well give my soul (and re-mortgage)  to Sky! It's only a game :-)  !!!