Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Sport via an extender

FIXED
Highlighted
tonysimper

BT Sport via an extender

hi all,

I am running off a Plusnet Hub, and I have a Netgear 11AC extender about 20 foot away from it, connected wirelessly. 

Reason for this is that I have ethernet cabling from the extender going upstairs and around the house to various places. The Hub is in a position where connecting cable to it is unsightly and awkward...Fine for wireless, but nowt else.

I want to go via this extender route to my Plusnet TV box so I tried it (and before connecting I did a speedcheck connected to my laptop from the Extender and got 70Mbps/17Mbps) and it works for all on-demand services (Netflix, Now TV, etc) except BT Sport, which gives me a code (not to hand right now) implying my connection is not fast enough.

If I connect a long ethernet cable from the Plusnet box directly to Router, BT Sport works fine of course but looks horrible (!!).

Is this because BT Sport is Multicast and therefore must be ethernet connected, or something ? Pretty sure the difference in speeds between the 2 methods is minimal. Or maybe there's a setting in the extender that can help.

Thanks, and sorry for the post length.

Tony

3 REPLIES
Fixes: 384

Re: BT Sport via an extender

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Tech Help to TV 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb

If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'

My Broadband Ping - PN-Fibre
Fixes: 384

Fix

Thanks, and sorry for the post length.

Tony

Is this because BT Sport is Multicast and therefore must be ethernet connected, or something ? Pretty sure the difference in speeds between the 2 methods is minimal. Or maybe there's a setting in the extender that can help.

Pretty much this, you could add in power line extenders as multicast works over them.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb

If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'

My Broadband Ping - PN-Fibre
tonysimper

Thanks Dvorak, I was using powerlines but that also gave me breakup and channel loss, I think because of issues in my wiring, hence trying the extender.

That's a pain, but I guess I'll have to get some wires rerouted.

regards, Tony