Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Sport app on Amazon Fire TV Stick

Jaggies
Community Veteran

BT Sport app on Amazon Fire TV Stick

Hi.

Since we can no longer acess BT Sport on channels 408 and up, I have installed the app on my Amazon Fire TV Stick. The sound is OK, but the picture keeps freezing and stuttering, rendering it unusable for watching live sport.

I have bought a HDMI extension cable so I could move it from the back of the TV to the front and also got a WiFi range extender to boost the WiFi signal, however these changes make no difference.

I'm looking for suggestions on what devices people are using to watch the BT Sport app. I've tried installing the app on an Android TV box I had lying around (Kodi, I think) as that has an ethernet connection, but I could not find the app in the Play Store, so I suspect the version of Android is too old. I don't think a Chromecast would be any better than the Fire TV Stick, as that also relies on WiFi and in any case I would have to have the app installed and running on my phone or tablet, which is too much of a faff for me.

Any suggestions for suitable ethernet connected devices welcome.

9 REPLIES 9
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 216

Re: BT Sport app on Amazon Fire TV Stick

@Jaggies  i currently use a Fire Stick 4k without any problems. I've also used Chromecast, again with no problems streaming BT Sport HD.

If you believe its a Wifi issue as opposed to a basic connection speed issue then what about an ethernet adapter for the Fire Stick https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Ethernet-Adaptor-Remote-models/dp/B01LXP5TXI

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Jaggies
Community Veteran

Looks promising, thanks. I'll check it out.

Still open to other suggestions though!

Jaggies
Community Veteran

Bad form to reply to yourself, but I don't think the issue is with the connection. I moved the WiFi range extender closer to the stick and get full bars of WiFi signal, so I don't think getting an ethernet adaptor will help with this Fire TV stick.
It's a 1st generation stick, so will likely be low on RAM and I think that's what causes the stuttering.
Looking at buying a Fire TV Cube, which comes with the ethernet adaptor in the box.
adam945
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 72

Good morning @Jaggies

Thanks for reaching out and I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with your BT Sport App. Although this issue does not appear to concern your Plusnet connection itself, I too have an Amazon Fire Stick and in all honesty, it doesn't have the best WIFI connection, simple things like BBC iPlayer also drop out every once in a while despite my wireless connection being fine on other devices.

Do you have any games consoles that you could try installing the app on? I've currently got mine installed on a Playstation 4, connected via Ethernet - PowerLine adapters, and it works fine. Smiley

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Jaggies
Community Veteran

Hi @adam945
It seems to be only the BT Sport app that is causing the issue; I was watching different streaming video on the stick this morning without any problems, but when I was watching BT Sport Score this afternoon it was very poor.
I've ordered an Amazon Fire Cube which should arrive tomorrow, and should have enough memory - and also an ethernet adaptor - so the demands of the app on the Fire TV Stick should hopefully not be repeated.
I'll report back after I have tried it out.

C1Rider
Grafter

Hello Jaggies,

I moved to a Fire stick ( 3rd gen ) ; they are a good price at the moment.

The BT sport app " optimises " the quality of the transmission when connecting, if you have a WiFi signal that goes up and down that can make a big difference, I have an ethernet connection to my fire stick.

Be careful with the cube as it may not be classed as a phone or tablet and not all apps that work with a phone or tablet work with anything else.

On checking I see that you have a cube on order; I've left my comment in above just in case you find some apps aren't available as I did with Google TV and I returned the Nokia streaming box as it wasn't as advertised.

Regards..

adam945
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 72

Ah fair enough @Jaggies

See how you get on and let us know what happens. There's little intervention we can really put in from our end though. If the line itself tests fine then the issue is likely with the wireless connection, or the App itself. Smiley

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Jaggies
Community Veteran

Hi all.
Just to confirm, I have got the BT Sport app on the Fire TV Cube, connected via Home Plugs/Ethernet adaptor, and all is well. No stuttering or buffering, and the picture quality is excellent. I can even tell the remote to turn off the TV!
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 89

Hiya @Jaggies, thanks for getting back with an update Smiley I'm really pleased to hear that the Fire TV Cube is a success!

Please just get back to us if you have any further queries at all.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team