cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Sport Box Office access via Plusnet TV (I was asked to make a thread here)

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 7

Re: BT Sport Box Office access via Plusnet TV (I was asked to make a thread here)

Anything can be done given enough time and money.  From what I've understood from the staff posts, there would need to be a change to the contract between BTSport and Plusnet and a load of development work.  From your original post here I read it as Plusnet had suggested you post here to see if there was enough interest.  If there was a load of people agreeing with you how essential it is, then it would give the product owner for this an idea that the time and money spent on developing this would be worthwhile.  Instead what we've seen is that in 6 months, nobody else on the forum (or maybe one or two people, I forget without checking through all the posts) 1 other person is interested in this (Edited that bit after having a quick look back at the previous posts).  That may have even been looked at by Plusnet in making the decision not to offer it any time soon.

robbieglover2k
Grafter

Re: BT Sport Box Office access via Plusnet TV (I was asked to make a thread here)

Yeah, that was a good reply @pjmarsh so thank you!!
I know, from what I understand (and have been told) BT Sport Box Office is already on the Youview platform (channel 494) but isn't updated on some of the platforms (IE Plusnet), see the link on the forum with the channel list however it's just that which needs to be added.

I'm just being told so much because I have also been told on numerous occasions it can easily be done, I don't disbelieve any of the staff here of course but from what I understand (from Youview, BT and Plusnet who have spoke to numerous times) it's just an update on the box needed (not sure why a new box mentioned above would be needed when it's a firmware update on the box we have) but it's just a case of Plusnet actually doing it.

This is the problem too, you go to BT and they tell us it can be done but tell Plusnet, really I just wish BT and Plusnet would talk (considering they're close companies too) whoever goes to who first doesn't matter, I just wish they'd talk, communicate and work on getting this done.

Most people don't express it on a forum cause they can see how difficult it is, I've been at this for 10 months now just going back and forth lol

As mentioned though, I'm really happy with Plusnet on a whole, I think they're awesome but I just wish they would kindly get on to this much more than they are. I wouldn't mind so much if it wasn't needed but it really is with the BT Sport package now and it's becoming more and more essential to have, it would really make a lot of subscribers very happy and of course more PPV buys for BT also if the Box Office channel was available with all their BT Sport subscribers who watch their channels.

You're right though, I was asked in December to put it here on the forum in depth too, which is what I've done Smiley
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 7

There is still development time required to write/rewrite/update the new firmware to include it.  When @JOLO mentioned a new box, I'd hazard a guess that she is meaning new firmware would be required if/when a new box is released by Plusnet, so it could be considered when that is being done, but is not currently planned.

The staff responses you've had here sound more than just replies from support people, and more like they have been talking to the product people at Plusnet who understand what is needed and likely have been in touch with BT Sport, though they have made the decision not to offer it at this time.

robbieglover2k
Grafter

Yeah that's the thing, it's all guess work, I don't disbelieve that it would be needed in some way but it is one of those things where it's starting to become more and more essential now because of the way BT Sport are doing their programming, it's just a frustrating situation all round and you really would have thought BT would have covered all this before launching their Box Office channel.

The decision thing is frustrating because not only is it like I say become more and more essential with the channel (due to how BT Sport have started doing their programming) but also like a friend of mine who I also got into Plusnet broadband through my referrals he was also going to get the TV but he said he's not bothering now because it's pointless without the BT Sport Box Office channel not being available, so how many others are feeling the same? Difference is he's not going to come on to a forum to express it.

It's just frustrating and I do feel it's very unfair, wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't needed so much and if it wasn't taking away the content from people all of a sudden without even having the option to purchase it but like I say, I hope Plusnet get onto it more.

Thanks again anyway , I really do appreciate your replies so thank you!! Smiley
Highlighted
GreenReaper

What staff have been very gently trying to suggest is that if you view this particular channel as essential, you need to switch to a brand that provides it. They aren't going to.

The thinking appears to be as follows:
a) Plusnet is the brand for 'value' customers who don't want to pay much for extras.
b) the Box Office channel is specifically designed for people willing to pay much for something extra - almost as much as you pay for a month of fibre broadband.

If true - and it might be, given the response here - it suggests that:
c) most people who want this will be willing to switch to a "premium" provider such as BT, Sky or Virgin (if they are not already there).

Which is why they suggested you do that.

It's literally not worth their time to add it to Plusnet, because most of their targeted customers don't see box office events as a good deal.

Moreover, it'd reduce the distinctiveness of their premium brand, BT. This may also be why you don't see Plusnet pushing on IPv6, the latest and greatest Wi-Fi, multiroom TV, etc. They're in the bucket of things which trickle down once it becomes too expensive *not* to have it. Being able to sell pay-per-view events is unlikely to reach that bucket.

If you really, really don't want to switch ISP, you might consider whether there's a local pub showing the event you wish to see, although I know they don't always offer the best viewing experience. Or perhaps you have a friend nearby with BT? 😼
Fixes: 591

But you can get the app on your phone / tablet and cast it either to a Chromecast / Apple TV so all is not totally lost - it's just perhaps not as convenient.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
robbieglover2k
Grafter

That's the thing @GreenReaper I really am very happy with Plusnet on a whole despite this situation as they not only are a great company but they provide such fantastic customer service which I love and they're a good honest genuine company too which is something I cherish massively, I love Plusnet and am very happy with them hence why I've got so many friends and family on Plusnet also as well as the TV and mobile packages too which I've got them on. Literally loads simply because they are great which is why I don't want to change providers at all.

I disagree with the customers not wanting to pay for Box Office events though in regards to it not being a good deal etc.. because that's an assumption which I know from a friend of mine the reason he's not going to get the TV package is because of this ("There's no point if you can't get access to the Box Office channel" was his words) also in regards to selling the PPV's on Box Office, Plusnet don't even have to have anything to do with that side of it, all it needs is the channel just to be there available on the list (which it already is available by the way on the Youview boxes (see previous link) which I've been told conflicting answers for in regards to that (BT, Plusnet and Youview have all said to me in the past it can be easily updated and then I've had here as mentioned above, so it's hard to know what's right) however people can pay for Box Office Events online and then after it's paid it comes on the channel automatically, Plusnet don't have to have anything to do with that other than just have the channel appear in the list and that's it (BT Sport Box Office is on channel 494 on the Youview boxes already).

Honestly, I do feel BT Sport haven't been the best in regards to distributing this really, it needs to be more accessible and I do feel that BT really should have catered for all their customers to at least have the access when push comes to shove, the problem is that because they're changing their format and putting more and more things on there it's starting to become essential to have now with the BT Sports package, it's getting to a point where you'll see all build up for events on the channels but can't even watch the events because they're all on the channel that's not available. It being there doesn't just benefit me but it benefits Plusnet and BT also who BT will get more buys (which I'm sure they want) and Plusnet will also have no reason as to why people wouldn't say no to having their TV service, I do disagree with that assumption you make because Plusnet are not only great but the reason we do get this the way we do is cause we're customers of Plusnet and appreciated (hence the mates rates thing) which again is another reason why I think Plusnet are awesome!!! (It's the same with the phone deals too, again it feels like an appreciation from Plusnet that they offer us these great things and again, I think they're awesome!!!).

I guess it's just frustrating more than anything and it's just help and a suggestion that we really want, as I say the "BT Sport Extra" HD channels that are also missing really don't matter cause they're not essential but this is and I know it's new so can understand that it's taking time for it to be picked up and for people to realise but it's just the way it is and it's beneficial for us all to have it there. Again, Plusnet don't have to have anything to do with the billing or taking the payments for it, it's taken from the website and then comes on from your Box Office ID and payment the same as it does if you pay online and watch on a browser, it just comes on (BT told me this also).

This whole Box Office thing has been a bad idea from the start, it's an outdated format to be honest (look at how WWE have their WWE Network for example, they've got it spot on) and in the day with streaming too that's all these Box Office channels are encouraging streams not just because of the money and time reason but because they don't even have the access to them to even purchase. I couldn't do with that personally cause they're not reliable and again, it's not on my TV but BT are actually pushing people to do this now because of this, honestly the whole Box Office model is quite outdated and this is why WWE have got it spot on with their own Network which is available to everyone due to so many platforms it's on and it's affordable for people too as well as the fact they can go replay straight away after it's been on. So I don't blame Plusnet at all but I do feel this whole BT Sport Box Office has been a disaster since they brought it in.

Have a read on all the replies to the Tweets btsportUFC have had on Twitter, they're literally had over a thousands replies from people cancelling their subscriptions with BT and telling them they're just going to stream it (look it up on Youtube, Twitter etc.. as well as the BT Sport forum and Sherdog UFC forums (loads there) and you'll see what I mean straight away) and also a lot of them feel duped over this UFC thing because there was a situation where Eleven Sports were going to take the deal (thankfully they didn't!) but they couldn't secure a TV deal so BT got it back (thankfully!) and they promised all their customers that UFC would stay the same as it's always been, meaning loads of these signed back up to BT under that impression into new contracts then they've recently said the next event is going to be on their Box Office channel which has got them very angry and tons of cancellations and screen grabs of this are all over social media of people's confirmations with (what looks like) very little PPV buys, so it has been a disaster from day one to be honest. 

As I say, me personally, I don't mind buying the odd Box Office event cause it's just the odd few and it's supporting them too which is great considering they do provide good UFC coverage but they've just made it so difficult (hence coming to Plusnet to please try get them to do the update so it's at least available). Again, BT should have distributed this a bit better to be honest and made sure ALL their subscribers get the chance to purchase (regardless of where they subscribe through), at the end of the day they're all loyal customers contributing to their business (which many won't as mentioned above) but thats a BT issue they need to work around anyway.

I hope you can understand now though, I know it's a bit long winded but there's been a lot going on with this for a long time now, hence why having to explain all this, it's such a frustrating situation.

I wish there was a local pub, I love the UFC stuff and when they put things on PPV they're at 3 - 5 am in the morning haha

I already explained about the Chromecast thing @