cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Reception

bellevueace
Dabbler

BT Reception

Ive just signed up to BT TV through PlusNet and whilst generally its been fine sometimes I do get picture glitches, my speed is fine and everything seems to be in order so I was wondering firstly can weather interfere in anyway with the signal, and secondly im using supplied power adaptors would I be better off using an Ethernet cable? In my case I would probably need around a 50m cable. Thanks for any advice.

7 REPLIES
waltdav1
Dabbler

Re: BT Reception

Hi @bellevueace

I signed up to BT Sport App via Plusnet when it first started, and for the first couple of weeks it was perfect.  However, now that the European Champions League and Europa League series is under way, I have been experiencing short drop-outs and buffering during the most popular games.  Quite annoying.  It most frequently happens just after a goal is scored!  I suspect that there has been a big uptake of the Sports App service through Plusnet, and this is placing a heavy demand on the system capacity, especially when a very popular football match is on.  It only happens on the BT Sport App - never on Now TV or Amazon Prime Video.

My downstream speed is 10.5 mbps (I can't have more because there is no fibre broadband in my street), but this should be enough to watch a single video stream without interruption.

Walt

bellevueace
Dabbler

Hi
I signed up to the app but everytime i tried to sign in i kept getting incorrect user id i ended up deleting it from my phone and have not bothered with it since. Thanks for the reply.
stereohaven
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

bellevueace wrote:

Ive just signed up to BT TV through PlusNet and whilst generally its been fine sometimes I do get picture glitches, my speed is fine and everything seems to be in order so I was wondering firstly can weather interfere in anyway with the signal, and secondly im using supplied power adaptors would I be better off using an Ethernet cable? In my case I would probably need around a 50m cable. Thanks for any advice.

As the TV signal comes via your broadband line I would say it's unlikely to be affected by adverse weather, but anything that can interfere with your broadband line could cause an issue.

I remember once having an intermittent broadband issue where speed would keep dropping and this was due to heavy rainfall and some sort of BT box out in the road nearby getting flooded. So I guess something like that could cause a problem.

However if I was a betting man I would suggest the most likely issue is the use of homeplugs and some sort of interference there.

Even when Plusnet had a national broadband issue a few weeks back (which they never admitted... Funny), I did not have any Plusnet TV problems when watching in HD, even when the max speed I could seem to get on a speed test was 500kbps!

Can you move the router any closer and try and connect directly with a cable? At least that way you could see if the problem persists?

bellevueace
Dabbler

To move the router closer without the use of a long Ethernet cable would mean having a new phone socket put in to allow me to plug the router into it. I might just go for a longer cable to connect, the other thing I thought of is if its a bandwidth issue with BT?

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

A quick way to see the speeds you're getting would be to connect a wired device such as a laptop in place of the YouView box temporarily and run a speedtest from there.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
bellevueace
Dabbler

Thanks. For the last few days the reception has been fine the issue does appear to be sporadic thats why i was thinking ethernet cable might be more constant than the adaptors.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I suspect that multicast TV is actually a flawed concept - it can't cope with packet loss (no re-transmit) between your hub and the multicast injection point. I had an issue for over 6 months where I was unable to get a reliable PN TV service... then it suddenly cleared up but tonight its back with a vengeance. I'm seeing tiny amounts of packet loss which isn't enough to affect browsing or NowTV or Netflix but is enough to make PN TV unwatchable.