cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Humax recorder

beetee

BT Humax recorder

I am at present with BT but considering moving to Plusnet When I joined BT I got a BT(Humax model ) PVR/recorder as part of the bundle  My Q is . if i switch to Plusnet will BT (somehow ) disconnect the recorder or will it continue to record TV programs 

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
DS
Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: BT Humax recorder

Welcome to the forums @beetee Smiley

The box should continue to work to some degree, but afaik the EPG is sent via the server and not OTA. I could however be wrong on that. Any subscription channels would not work. You could well end up with at least 10 days without a YV box working. Hopefully another jumper from BT to PN or a member of staff will clarify...?

But, as you're thinking off jumping to PN, there is some life in the old BT PVR yet.

What you could do is...... Join Plusnet on either the Unlimited Fibre (up to 38/10) or Unlimited Fibre Extra (up to 76/20) and ask for the TV too (the base package is priced at £5 pm, but you might be able to negotiate this down, then again maybe not).

You need fibre (as you may know already) as the minimum speed of 15Mbps for YV to work is needed (though it has been known to work on a lower speed).

You could opt for a Plusnet router (free but with postage costs) or use your existing BT router (as you had TV with them, you'd already have the right router) but afaik you'd need to take one of Plusnet's (unbranded) YV PVR's. How to set up a BT router on a Plusnet connection is already on these forums.

Then, if it's still the same, 10 days after the fibre connection has been up and running, call them to activate the TV side, then put the PN YV PVR on the network. Make sure all the channels work first. The serial number of this box (and other details) would be on the PN systems.

As soon as the PN PVR is up and running, stick the BT PVR on the network too:shocked:, but clearly on another TV as it would make using both at the same time on the same TV rather pointless!!

However, the second box would not have the subscription channels but the catchup TV (eg iPlayer) and apps (ie Netflix) do still work, as does recording free TV channels. I've been running 2 YV PVR's for a long time now (one subbed and one for the free stuff without any issues at all).

The other option would be to retire the BT PVR and keep it as a spare, as some users have swapped to their BT one instead of using the PN one.

HTH

daveplus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

You could search or post a question at https://hummy.tv/forum/#humax-products.5

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 31

Hi @beetee and welcome to the forums!

Recording is built into the set top box with us and cannot be removed or disbaled, I don't believe the recording feature will be removed or disabled if you leave BT. However, if the programs you are recording are on the internet supplied channels rather than Freeview, the box will not continue to record these channels as they won't be available when you move to us.

I'm afraid as we are not the supplier of the set top box, I cannot be certain. You could look at posting on BT's community forum for a clear answer.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
beetee

Thanks to all who replied but after phoning BT Value Team i got plusnet prices and a new PVR for £10 delivery !!!

DS
Champion
Fixes: 22

If that was the Plusnet published prices, then you may not have got the bargain you thought you got :lipsrsealed: :rolleyes:

(plus based on £10, Plusnet postage costs are less too)

Anyway, glad to hear you got a deal with BT Smiley

BERTJ
Rising Star

l joined PN tv after leaving BT .

You can use your BT box on another tv to watch freeview and you can use the youview functions.

Only difference is you cannot see any PN subscription channels that you may have subscribed to on BT box .

You will only be able to view these subscription channels on the PN box as well as youview.

You can record on both boxes provided they have an aerial connected and an internet connection for on demand.