Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Branded T2100 Box No Longer Works

Marketman
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

BT Branded T2100 Box No Longer Works

Just an advance warning for  those using a BT branded T2100 box, the latest update means that you cannot receive Plusnet internet channels. When switching on yesterday afternoon it asked me to perform a software reset which resulted in no internet channels (freeview ok), also colour scheme gone to purple with BT logo in top left corner. Tried re-scanning channels but only freeview channels appear. I have had to dig out my original T2120 box, I have also lost some recordings - so be warned!

13 REPLIES 13
beeceegee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: BT Branded T2100 Box No Longer Works

Hmmm - my BT badged T2100 is still working properly as of this evening, and I have done a Full Maintenance Reset (keeping recordings), so it should have the latest software versions.

Marketman
Rising Star

I would assume that updates will be released in batches so you may get it in a few days. It came out of the blue to my box, as I said in my post, just switched on the box and it requested a reset. There seems to be no way of re-installing Plusnet internet channels. I was rather lucky in I didn't have many recordings on the hard drive, most of them were freeview channels so I would be able to re-connect the BT box and watch them.

beeceegee
Aspiring Pro

What software / component versions is your box showing? Mine has:

Manufacturer software 31.69.0

Component version 3.5.132

According to the Youview website these are the latest versions for both the BT2100 and PN2120. My epg however has the generic Youview badge, not the BT logo

Then Platform configuration 4448

ISP configuration 1156

Marketman
Rising Star

Unfortunately I have replaced the BT box with the box supplied by Plusnet, and it is situated in an awkward position for me to wire it up again, but I do remember that the manufacturer's software was 31.69.0, so I am assuming that the change might be instigated by BT themselves. Really glad that Plusnet have not (as yet) made the change to purple (BT colours?). Also the program highlight that was recently introduced in the menu by Youview is a white box in this form of the menu.

beeceegee
Aspiring Pro

But version 31.69 doesn't have the purple theme, or the white box programme highlight, at least on my box :huh: That sounds more like version 31.108, which according to Youview is so far only for the DTR4000. Think I might pop a question over on the YV support forum.

Marketman
Rising Star

It was definitely 31.69.0 because I was surprised that the software version didn't change, so it must be something instigated by BT. It is definitely a T2100 box its sat here in front of me!

Could it be that BT still think I am a customer? Its almost 3 years since I left for Plusnet, I kept the box they supplied.

beeceegee
Aspiring Pro

According to the reply I got over on the Youview forum the skin you get depends on the ISP config settings in the box. So in theory a BT themed skin can only come from a BT line. They also said there should not normally be any reason for the box to have updated recently, as latest version (31.69) have been out since November/December. They suggested that maybe the box encountered a problem which required a software reset, and somehow picked up a wrong ISP configuration.The recommendation is to perform a "maintenance mode reset", to which I would add taking the option "keeping recordings"

Marketman
Rising Star

Thanks for reply.  We have a Plusnet phone line so that would not be the cause. Unfortunately I have now used my Plusnet supplied box for recordings so I am reluctant to change back to BT box to check out your other idea and it is not an easy job to connect up. 

beeceegee
Aspiring Pro

It's given me some reassurance that the problem most likely lies with your YV box, rather than some general hobbling of BT badged boxes used on other ISPs service.

Marketman
Rising Star

Just an update on this. I had reason (I'll explain in a moment) to re-install the BT T2100. after it went through an update and has ended up with the correct software, so what you and the Youview forum must be correct, my box somehow got the wrong software.

The problem I am having is that on occasions the Youview box loses the freeview channels and comes up with weak signal message, it seems to be totally random, signal strength is normally around 96% but drops to Zero. When I swapped to Plusnet T2120 box I was hoping (yes only hoping) that it might solve the problem but it didn't, I used to just pull out the mains lead on the T2100 and when it had gone through updates everything worked ok, BUT the T2120 box wouldn't do this - still no signal! I think I am having an aerial problem, so now both boxes show the fault, that would seem to be the case.

Community Veteran

If you plug the aerial directly in to the TV do you have the same problem?
DS
Champion
Fixes: 22

I have also lost some recordings - so be warned!

Can't say I've tried on the youview boxes, but back in the days of BT Vision, it was possible to swap hard drives, thus 'moving' recordings from one to the other - or indeed upgrading the drive to a larger one! Don't ask how I know ;). Guess it depends on how much you want the recordings I guess.

There seems to be no way of re-installing Plusnet internet channels

PN know (via the serial number IIRC) which box is active on the account - surprised switching boxes didn't pop up the on screen message - something like 'click ok to receive channels'.

Component version 3.5.132

Then Platform configuration 4448

ISP configuration 1156

I'm running 2 PN issued (2120 500GB) boxes (yes 2 on one residential connection - but don't tell PN ;)) and mine (as in the one in use in living room) is a little different

Component software 3.5.132 (bcf[redacted just in case])

Platform configuration 4430

ISP configuration 1156

Really glad that Plusnet have not (as yet) made the change to purple

Out of interest, do you mean the background (as mine is a purple/blue type)or the logo?

Also the program highlight that was recently introduced in the menu by Youview is a white box in this form of the menu.

Not seeing a white box here....

But version 31.69 doesn't have the purple theme, or the white box programme highlight, at least on my box

It sounds like yours (BT) and mine (PN) are the same.

The problem I am having is that on occasions the Youview box loses the freeview channels and comes up with weak signal message, it seems to be totally random, signal strength is normally around 96% but drops to Zero.

Without being nosy, is that on main channels, as in BBC etc? I run 4 TV's (splitter will take 8), 2 PNYV boxes, plus sometimes freeview built into 3 of these TV's and very rarely see this weak signal - but our only aerial is wired with sat grade coax and not just the standard coax cable.

Should anyone ask, one PNYV has subs, the other is only for the non ISP provided channels.

Finally, just adding to Jaggies - if you've set your box to pass through to the TV, when the YV next drops the channel, quickly jump to the built in freeview on the TV (if it has it) and see if this too has no signal.

Marketman
Rising Star

It has happened again! When I switched on T2100 box yesterday, I was greeted by screen asking me to do software reset/factory reset etc on doing Software Reset it loaded BTs freeview with purple screen etc. Eventually I found out the only way to get back to Plusnet Youview was by using 'Software Update' in 'Settings'