Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC News HD gone?

FIXED
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: BBC News HD gone?

Indeed, no reason why you would have lost them if it's wideband. The signal strength is down a bit for me but that's expected from the higher frequencies, which are attenuated more easily.

strayfish
Grafter

BBC4 HD has gone as well in my part of the world (I pick up Greater London so - Crystal Palace?). I found a foggy (non HD) BBC News channel on 56 but no sign of Beeb 4. I've no idea what sort of aerial I have or what it's capable/incapable of picking up but I'll hold on a little while to see if re-tuning over the next few weeks brings them back. I can use Sky in the meantime.

Neil_Hy

Since the recent changes with transmitters I too have lost BBC HD on Freeview channel 107! I have also lost BBC 4HD too. I don't believe it to be a Plusnet issue and so will be getting my aerial checked to see if that brings them back.
strayfish
Grafter

I hear there's another round of transmitter updates in May so I'm holding on to see what happens. If it's not resolved then, a new aerial it is!

Highlighted
KevinG
Rising Star

Further changes will not resolve the issue of losing BBC News HD/BBC Four HD and the other channels on COM7/8. They have been moved up the band and will be staying there until they are switched off, before 2022. If you are in an area that previously required group A or group B aerials, you will need a wideband or log periodic aerial.

strayfish
Grafter

I've been trying to figure out which my transmitter is. I'm in Sussex but I have Greater London as my default. It may be Crystal Palace, and/or there may be relays along the way. Also, I couldn't tell you what kind of aerial I have but if, by the end of May, I'm still not getting my missing HD channels, it definitely means I need a new one. Meanwhile, Sky is doing the heavy lifting!

KevinG
Rising Star

If you're in the northern part of Sussex (like me) you probably are on Crystal Palace, especially if your aerial is pointing north and is horizontally polarised. COM7 and COM8 have moved completely outside the range of a group A aerial that many Crystal Palace viewers will have.

strayfish
Grafter

I'm in the south - couple of miles further and I'd have wet feet! If I leave my TV to its own devices when it does re-tunes, I end up with Meridian so I have to be alert and ensure it stays with Greater London. I'll take a look today to see which way my aerial is aligned but I don't know how to tell if it's polarised. I can ask though, so you've got me further along the line. This is astonishingly complex for ordinary users like me. I've read all the information but frankly it seems to be written in High Geek! Anyway, you're helping me pin point the criteria and I'll get there - probably via a new aerial. Sheesh!

KevinG
Rising Star

@strayfish wrote:

I'll take a look today to see which way my aerial is aligned but I don't know how to tell if it's polarised

The aerial elements will either be horizontal or vertical. If you can see them, you can tell.

strayfish
Grafter

Righty-ho. The bars are horizontal and it's pointing north (NNW possibly more precise) with a little flat plate on the south end. Crystal Palace, do we think? And what of the COM status? I'm hearing the words 'new aerial' whispering through the ether!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Yeah @strayfish

Sounds like you've got the choice of Bluebell Hill, which is Southern ITV (TVS when it was good, Meridian now) or you want Crystal Palace for London ITV.

My reception is from Crystal Palace, but where my parents are we used to get a weak TVS signal which watchable just about. I used to like watching it.

In fact my friends dad got two aerials installed on the same pole in different directions. One to pickup London ITV and one to pick up TVS/Meridian. So he had the choice of both with good quality pictures on both. Quite cool, didn't realise you could do that.

strayfish
Grafter

Sounds like I have Crystal Palace for everything except the stations that have vanished, and that's the source I want to keep -  been here several decades but never quite left the city! Seems I'll need to hunt down BBC News HD and BBC4 HD to wherever they're coming from now, though. Irritating but as I said, I can get them via Sky for now. 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

If you're getting London BBC and ITV news now, you probably right about being on Crystal Palace.

With Sky you can set it up to pick up all the ITV regions - you just need to programme in some stats manually, a sat web site will tell you. You just need to put it on other channels when you want to change to the one which isn't your own.

It not too hard and gives you the ability watch another region (well it is only really news now that differs) if you want to. It is about a 20 minute job if that.

strayfish
Grafter

Yes, I can do all that but actually I'd just like to get my two HD channels back without having to use Sky. It's not massively inconvenient but then I do HAVE Sky - I wonder what all the people who don't are supposed to do about their missing channels? Surely there's a solution for them, and if so, then that would work for me too. I may not hold my breath though!

KevinG
Rising Star

The solution, as I have said a few times, is a wideband aerial. Several people have managed to get these installed free of charge by contacting the Freeview help line and stating you have lost channels as a result of the recent frequency changes.