Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC News HD gone?

FIXED
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: BBC News HD gone?

if you've lost a whole mux then it will be your aerial.
slight chance it's the transmitter, but you'll only know if you try another HD box.
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

It could be something as simple as the aerial connection to the box, if you're going to lose anything it will be one of the weaker multiplexes. For example, the plug to the back of my box is a little loose and I sometimes lose the local multiplex, which is by far the weakest here (I am well outside its intended range). Just pushing the plug in a bit restores it.

agedgopher
Pro
Fixes: 3

Because @picard25 has watched this channel for some time and the problem has only recently occurred, maybe signal strength has recently dropped. One thing that has happened more recently is that many trees have come into leaf and that is known to dramatically affect signal strength. If the aerial is trying to look through a tree canopy it has the effect of a wet blanket in front of a fire, the signal gets shut out as does the heat.

Many years ago I worked in Derbyshire and we had regular service calls to Repton School to increase the height of an aerial at one cottage in the grounds, due to the fact that the cottage was surrounded trees and unfortunately trees grow.

My son has recently had to get a tree surgeon in because the tree in his garden had grown and was blocking his satellite signal. When the wind blew leaf movement was causing drop out.

This may be a reason for the recent loss of one group of channels for @picard25. If so then they will all come back come the Autumn.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I had a similar problem at my parents.

The signal went to poor from the aerial which was inside the loft and channels were not working from the signal being too poor.

I bought a cheapo internal aerial from Argos, was around £20-30. You have to mess around with it a bit (move the direction) and retune a few times, but it'll get you out of trouble. Check BBC is back and the channels you like watching, if not repeat process.

One of those IT things were a temporary fix becomes a permanent one 😄
Highlighted
agedgopher
Pro

One major drawback to that plan @Alex is that indoor aerials will only work in areas of strong signal with a good line of sight to the transmitter and in many cases no amount of fiddling will get them to work. Given that @picard25's problem appears to possibly revolve around low signal strength then that may not help him.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Yes I see what you mean.

Main one in London is Crystal Palace, I know there is one at Bluebell Hill, but I assume it feeds from CP and boosts it.
KevinG
Rising Star

Bluebell Hill is a main transmitter, not a relay of Crystal Palace. It doesn't even carry the same regional programmes as Crystal Palace. Crystal Palace does have 56 relays of its own.

Anyway, back to the OP's problem, as I said, try wiggling the cable and plug around before you call in the tree surgeon!

agedgopher
Pro

With the original post stating that @picard25 lives in the North East then they probably get signal from Pontop Pike transmitter. Com6 , which is home to channel 107, has a power output of 33.7kw as compared to 100kw for the main channels from that mast. So any drop in reception levels will be much more noticeable as has already been posted by @picard25 that all channels form com6 have disappeared.

KevinG
Rising Star

COM7, not COM6.
agedgopher
Pro

@KevinG Oops sorry. Can I use age as an excuse?

stephricho

Thanks for the list of channels on Com7. Yes all of them on the list were missing. I re-tuned my Smart TV and all is now OK.

many kind thanks...   Stephricho

SkylineUK_Dup
Rising Star

I retuned because Freeview said I have to on 7th March.

Now I've lost BBC News HD....

:knuppel2:

It's back again...

:crazy2:

stereohaven
Rising Star
Fixes: 4

I discovered today that we have also lost everything that was on COM7.

Our signal strength and quality is usually above 95% and our aerial points at Crystal Palace. According to the Digital UK website, the aerial I have now should be fine and even have better reception!digital2.jpgSignal Qualitydigital1.jpgAerial Type

KevinG
Rising Star

The Digital UK site doesn't know what type of aerial you have! If it is a group A, which has previously been sufficient to receive all transmissions from Crystal Palace, it will not be able to pick up COM7 and COM8, which moved to channels 55 and 56 on 21st March. To get them you will need a wideband aerial.

stereohaven
Rising Star
Fixes: 4

@KevinG wrote:

The Digital UK site doesn't know what type of aerial you have! 

Luckily I do, and it's wideband. 

Further investigation required methinks.