cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Argos Youview box or Plusnet deal - help needed please

nocashback

Argos Youview box or Plusnet deal - help needed please

Hi. I can buy a Youview box from Argos for 135 pounds. It has a 12 mnth warranty. Alteratively I can spend approx 60 on set up plus 5 per month for basically the same deal for 18 months (I know that Plusnet adds SD BT Sport and a few more channels). So the cost over 12 months is 60 plus 60 = 120 plusnet v 135 'Argos'. Over 18 months it's 150 plusnet v 135 'Argos' (assuming that the Argos box still works after 12 months). The boxes seem identical Humax 500gb HDRs.

I know that I can spend more through plusnet to get HD and other channels. I can buy amazon or netflix from plusnet through youview.

Am I missing anything here?  When (if ever) would I own the plusnet box? Is it after the 18 month contract ends? Can I buy a comparable (to the plusnet offering) Youview package outside of plusnet? Any other wisdom would be greatly appreciated thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 203

Re: Argos Youview box or Plusnet deal - help needed please

The Plusnet TV subscription  https://www.plus.net/tv/  will give you the 20 entertainment channels in SD and BT spirt lite in addition to the standard freeview channels. These are delivered over your internet connection (IPTV) and are not available with a standard Youview box from Argos.

I would assume that the box is yours after you've paid the 18 month subscription ( or any early termination charge if you leave before 18 months ) but you probably need a PN staffer to confirm that.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

nocashback

thanks, very helpful

Looking again it does seem that I would not need to return the plusnet box after the 18 month contract.

It seems to be an ok'ish deal except for the high initial charge. I can see the same box on ebay etc for less than the initial set up charge.

I'm also unsure whether BT sports in SD is worth having and whether or not the extra channels will add much beneit for 5 per month... it looks like its a further 3 for HD and a further 5 for the BT sports package - so in reality it would be an extra 13 per month / 132 per year to get a decent set up.

I seem to recall that youview also sell packages - but I can't find this on the internet - something to do with 'passes'. I may be confusing youview with Eleven sports perhaos?

I'd value any other views / experiences as I due to join plusnet in a week or so and would want to make the broadband and tv subsriptions to coincide to avoid problems with different end dates. thanks

Mayfly
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

Not sure how long I had my YV box but I was out of contract before I decided to cancel the package. No-one asked me for the box back.

4 months later due to a change of circumstance at home, I decided to to take it up again and was reconnected to the old box within 6hrs. 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 203

I'd value any other views / experiences as I due to join plusnet in a week or so and would want to make the broadband and tv subsriptions to coincide to avoid problems with different end dates. thanks

@nocashback bear in mind that you cannot order TV until your connection has been installed. Also it must be either Unlimited Fibre or Unlimited Fibre Extra and have a download speed > 15Mb 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.