Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All COM 7 Channels have disappeared

ricke17
Grafter

All COM 7 Channels have disappeared

Hey,
So I have already reported this to support and have an engineer booked for Thursday PM - but wondered if anyone else has had these channels disappear (such as BBC 4 HD, CH4 +1 HD, 47HD etc). 
Everything is good on my smart TV however - all channels are there.
Retunes on the YV box have failed to pick up the missing channels and I have a TV booster and an "at800" 4g filter in situ too.
I have ordered another TV booster in case it is that (doubtful as the smart TV is ok).
Cheers,
Rick.
Fibre Broadband 80/20, Netgear D7000
13 REPLIES
ricke17
Grafter

Re: All COM 7 Channels have disappeared

As an update to this - I have plugged in my old BT YV box and all the COM 7 channels are there, even after a retune.
So it appears I may have a faulty box.
Rick.
ricke17
Grafter

So the engineer same and he couldn't fathom out why all my COM 7 channels have disappeared on my pn YV box yet appear on my smart TV (and also old BT YV box too!).
It seems that the last software download has knocked these channels out.
Has anyone else noticed that they can no longer receive BBC 4HD, CH4 +1 HD or 47HD (and others, see here: http://www.a516digital.com/p/com7-and-com8.html) where they previously could?
Rick.
ricke17
Grafter

So this seems to have been resolved now.
I noticed a software update had been done (13th October) and I done a retune and all my COM 7 channels have reappeared.
It would be good to know exactly what went on.
Rick.
ricke17
Grafter

Hahahaha - I spoke too soon - they've all disappeared again!
yfront
Dabbler

I have exactly the same problem.
My other televisions around the house are still working OK on com 7.
As this multiplex is lower powered and my plusnet box is on the longest  feed from the amplifier, I thought this may be lack of signal so purchased a nice posh wide band aerial, but the problem remained exactly the same.
I now find my smart TV works OK at the plusnet  box location, (should have tried that first).
ricke17 - Have you resolved this?
What TV you do have, is it plasma?
dick:quote
ricke17
Grafter

I have an open fault with pn and I would encourage you to open a fault too.
It was cured by a recent youview software update but the channels disappeared again after 24hrs (or so).
Like you the channels are ok on my LG TV and old BT youview box.
Turns out that the fault is with the software or with youview itself, I am in an area where I have 2/3 transmitters which the current pn youview box can receive, but there is no way of selecting the region I want.
It's annoying as I prefer the HD channels that COM7 can provide (such as Ch4+1 HD and 47 HD).
yfront
Dabbler

Quote from: ricke17
I have an open fault with pn and I would encourage you to open a fault too.

Yes I'll also report a fault.
Still interested to know if you have a plasma TV, perhaps not, if a smart TV.
ricke17
Grafter

It's just an LCD TV not Plasma
yfront
Dabbler

Here's an update on Com 7 tuning problems with my Plusnet Youview box.
It would seem that a recent software update has altered the threshold for locking onto the freeview signal.
I have read that interference from plasma TVs can affect the operation of the youview box, so I moved the box away from the TV and now had 20% signal and was able to tune in com 7.
I then adjusted my new (3 boom labgear) aerial situated in the loft and was able to increase signal to 27%, still not very good.
Whilst rummaging in the garage I'd come across an old log periodic caravan aerial complete with bent elements. I straightened these out and for the hell of it swapped it for the labgear one and managed to get nearly 40% signal.
I have two feeds from the loft to our sitting room one each for TV and FM. I now swapped these over to see if any difference and signal jumped to just over 50%.
Finally I moved my box back under the TV and the signal level remained at about 50%.
I used signal level for testing as even a low signal can result in 100% quality.
Conclusion
The software update raised the threshold for receiving a freeview signal.
Only those of us with a border line signal would have been affected.
Log periodic aerials are under rated.
ricke17
Grafter

You have been busy - it will be interesting to see if the YV box continues to let you view the COM7 channels.
Why YV have fiddled with the software to raise the signal threshold, I'll never know.
ricke17
Grafter

Just a quick update.
After further communication with pn support who suggested I liaise with YV directly, my COM7 channels have reappeared.
YV suggested I remove the booster (again!) and hey presto the missing channels reappeared after a retune.
It turns out that the signal strength should be between 55-75% and mine is about 78% (without a booster) - so I have ordered an attenuator (from eBay about a fiver for a decent variable one) and will see if I can decrease the signal strength to about 65% to see if this stabilises everything and that COM7 channels remain - will post once I have tested it and it becomes stable.
Rick.
ricke17
Grafter

Hey,
So I have received the attenuator and have it in situ - I have reduced the signal down from 75% to 65% and will monitor it for a week or so and post back.
I done a retune of channels after I dropped it to 65% and the COM 7 channels remained in place.
Rick.
yfront
Dabbler

ricke17
Good to see you're having some success with sorting the Com 7 problems.
Since posting my conclusions I've read reports of sporadic E conditions during the time I lost the Com 7 channels.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sporadic_E_propagation
Sporadic E can cause co-channel interference from distant transmitters, usually seen as heron bone patterning on analogue, on a digital signal, it may be enough to completely kill an already weak signal.
I no longer consider the problem was with the Plusnet box but a weak signal wiped out by the sporadic E propagation.