cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aerial out Query

FIXED
Community Veteran

Aerial out Query

Before buying yet another cable, just checking if the coax out on the you view recorder box works when its in standby mode? Reason I ask is I have recently mounted my TV on a partition wall and buried the cables internally. I only put one coax in the wall but as the TV has a you view menu and Netflix there's probably going to be times when I don't knock the box on and just use the TV. If I have aerial in and another cable from aerial out to the TV would TV pick up the signal with the you view box in standby?

I Know I could get a coax and try it but I don't have one knocking about, well I have cable just no ends for it and was trying to do this tonight. If it can I'll pull some coax through and not mount the TV just yet and get some ends in the morning.

6 REPLIES
DS
Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Aerial out Query

Fix

Hi AWB70,

You'll need to do this on the YV box first, via the YV remote ->Menu (blue Y button) -> Settings -> Device Management -> RF Loop through (turn on)

Then when the YV box is in standby your freeview signal to the TV works Wink

(to clarify. Aerial coax to YV, your buried coax from YV to TV)

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

I'd be surprised if it did not work, have you tried it?

Never had or used a YouView box but they certainly continue to function when run via a Sky Digibox or, going back further into the mist of time, a VHS recorder - and why shouldn't it? 

Hope you get it sorted Thumbs Up

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

Thanks Buddy, I suspected that this might be the case. Have to say I didn't do it through impatience. Smiley No big deal though, I have an entry and exit point one behind the TV and one behind the youview box so it's just a case of pulling another coax through using one of the other cables as a pull wire now that I know it works. Thumbs Up

Just means taking the TV back down off the wall which I'm probably going to have to do now anyway. I seem to have a dodgy HDMI cable or something not sure. I spent 3 hours yesterday trying to make the TV see the youview box but had a bad picture and no sound. Wasn't sure what the issue was after trying the Sony website, thought it might be the cable which was a V2 high speed 4K cable and my understanding is that the youview box doesn't upscale to 4K, don't know if that's definite though? Tried a normal cable and the same things was happening Ticked off then all of a sudden I wiggled the hdmi cable at the back and it came on. I would have said it was the cable but why both?

After reading the manual I then found if I plug usb drive into the TV I could record directly on the TV Grin RTFM has never been so true. So it would appear that the TV is actually better than going through the box when possible if the upscaling bit is true. Apparently Netflix is 4K through the TV but not the box so all I actually need the box for is to get my PN IP Channels. hey ho, still I suppose it's worth the £5 just for them, they were costing me £22 from Sky.

The box seems to be a bargain on older TV's but a bit surplus to requirements with newer hardware. Would be nice if PN just had something like a stick you could just plug in the TV to get your IP channels and do away with all the clutter or I need to move with tech a bit quicker Wink

I suppose the TV side of PN is still getting of its feet though, maybe in the future. Thanks for the replies and help.

DS
Pro

No problemSmiley

I don't believe the YV box is 4k compatible - I doubt it would cope if I'm being honest.... I can of course be correctedWink

I'm sure I read that someone on here has a TV that comes with a YV App - I'm not sure if PN's offerings would work on it.

Community Veteran

Yeah my TV also has the youview app because although it is a Sony TV it runs on Android OS. The menu is just exactly the same as as the YV Box, as I say adding a memory card would give me the ability to pause and record shows directly from the TV. It's just the IP channels that can't be added.

If the inability of 4K is correct on the YV box it looks like the best option would be to set up the RF pass through and use the TV for most stuff. My previous TV was 11YO and didn't have any of these functions in which case the YV was a great thing. Sort of turned my old TV into a smart TV.

As far as I'm aware Plusnet TV will not work unless you have the box although I may be wrong. It seems like multiroom doesn't work at the moment for PN so I'm guessing that means it won't work through the Android app plus the Tv is only going to one IP address at a time I suspect to prevent people letting each other use their accounts as seems to be going on a lot these days.

DS
Pro

You may know this, but just in case, just bear in mind that if you record HD content to a memory card it will soon fill up.

Yeah I'm pretty sure you're right about PN TV not working unless you're taking on and paying them for it..... I do recall some time ago reading where a user had their own YV box, moved to BT and BT somehow managed to update their box with BT's softwareShocked (no idea if their box was an ebay special or not and never read or heard of anymore reports).

Lots of us tried multiroom back in the days of BTVision, some had mild success, others had none - some even set a recording on one box to find it on another box instead! BT's response was that multiroom isn't supported - not sure if it's still the case now with their YV box.