cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation a bit pricy

ad47uk
Grafter

Activation a bit pricy

I had a phone call this morning from plusnet about their  TV package. It seemed ok until she said a £50 activation and money for postage. why is the activation cost do high?
The other thing is the £3 a month extra for HD, Almost as bad as sky charging a tenner for theirs.
I know they offered me the box for a cost of nothing per month for so long, but the activation fee is pretty steep, considering you would stick me into another 18 month contract.
7 REPLIES 7
mwarby
Grafter

Re: Activation a bit pricy

The £50 activation is to cover the relaltive cost difference from the none recording box, an equivilant box on ebay wpul be £100-150
w23
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Yes, the term 'activation fee' was possibly (definitely in my own opinion) poorly chosen (certainly doesn't represent what it really is), as @mwarby says, it's really an 'equipment upgrade fee' to get the better box.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The 'activation fee' is actually to cover the cost of the box, the YouView+ box costs quite a bit more so the £50 is for that.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
benfranklin
Grafter

Quote from: ad47uk
The other thing is the £3 a month extra for HD, Almost as bad as sky charging a tenner for theirs.

HD uses more bandwidth than SD, so I think this is reasonable.
I can't quite get my head around multicast though so I have to admit I'm not sure exactly how much more  Crazy
ad47uk
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
The 'activation fee' is actually to cover the cost of the box, the YouView+ box costs quite a bit more so the £50 is for that.

I thought that may have been the reason, but why not just say that instead of activation fee? but even the non recording box is £100, surly plusnet is not going to get that money back even over 18 months? I presume it is another 18 months contract.
dick:green Quote fixed.

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

We'd hope that you'd want to stay with us, or maybe recontract after the 18 months.
I'm not sure about the cost of the boxes wholesale, but I wouldn't use £100 as the dead-on figure.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
ad47uk
Grafter

Um, I had a thought about it, but to be honest by the time I got my Tv licence again, pay the £50 fee, I bee looking at neraly £200 before i start and to be honest the range of extra channels that I would get over the freeview channels is not really enough to  spend that amount.
I know I do not get any channels now, I watch my video content via Netflix.
I will give it a miss I think.