cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation a bit pricy

ad47uk
Grafter

Activation a bit pricy

I had a phone call this morning from plusnet about their  TV package. It seemed ok until she said a £50 activation and money for postage. why is the activation cost do high?
The other thing is the £3 a month extra for HD, Almost as bad as sky charging a tenner for theirs.
I know they offered me the box for a cost of nothing per month for so long, but the activation fee is pretty steep, considering you would stick me into another 18 month contract.
7 REPLIES
mwarby
Grafter

Re: Activation a bit pricy

The £50 activation is to cover the relaltive cost difference from the none recording box, an equivilant box on ebay wpul be £100-150
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Yes, the term 'activation fee' was possibly (definitely in my own opinion) poorly chosen (certainly doesn't represent what it really is), as @mwarby says, it's really an 'equipment upgrade fee' to get the better box.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

The 'activation fee' is actually to cover the cost of the box, the YouView+ box costs quite a bit more so the £50 is for that.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
benfranklin
Grafter

Quote from: ad47uk
The other thing is the £3 a month extra for HD, Almost as bad as sky charging a tenner for theirs.

HD uses more bandwidth than SD, so I think this is reasonable.
I can't quite get my head around multicast though so I have to admit I'm not sure exactly how much more  Crazy
ad47uk
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
The 'activation fee' is actually to cover the cost of the box, the YouView+ box costs quite a bit more so the £50 is for that.

I thought that may have been the reason, but why not just say that instead of activation fee? but even the non recording box is £100, surly plusnet is not going to get that money back even over 18 months? I presume it is another 18 months contract.
dick:green Quote fixed.

MattyC
Champion
Fixes: 46

We'd hope that you'd want to stay with us, or maybe recontract after the 18 months.
I'm not sure about the cost of the boxes wholesale, but I wouldn't use £100 as the dead-on figure.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
ad47uk
Grafter

Um, I had a thought about it, but to be honest by the time I got my Tv licence again, pay the £50 fee, I bee looking at neraly £200 before i start and to be honest the range of extra channels that I would get over the freeview channels is not really enough to  spend that amount.
I know I do not get any channels now, I watch my video content via Netflix.
I will give it a miss I think.