Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A TV Dilemma

agedgopher
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

A TV Dilemma

I signed up for PNet tv in February this yearand added BT sport in August. Following a Plusnet overnight update on the 9th September I lost access to all the multicast tv channels getting a BTV-437 error message. Having had an engineer out to resolve the issue, he stated that the problem was not with the equipment in my home but was a server issue. The problem was never resolved and I cancelled tv.

I now would like to put tv back onto my account and have connected a BT Youview box and tried to set up over the internet but still get the BTV-437 error message.

My dilemma is should I request customer service to set up tv again and still get the same problems as experienced in September, since there has been no indication that the original issues were ever addressed. Or do I bite the bullet and increase the Murdoc family fortune by subscribing to SKY.

27 REPLIES
caravanj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: A TV Dilemma

This link may help you but I think that using a non-Plusnet YV box won't work.

Even if YV doesn't work you don't have to go back to Sky.

https://community.plus.net/t5/TV/YouView-software-updates/td-p/1294729

agedgopher
Aspiring Pro

Thank you caravanj.

The youview box has all up to  date software and BT technical have assured me that it will work.

My issue was diagnosed as non compatibility between the Plusnet hub1 and the servers. If I went to Sky it would be the first time. I have not been a sky customer before.

caravanj
Aspiring Pro

If your Plusnet One router had a compatability issue with the server then it begs the question as to why mine doesn't.

The only difference between our two setups is that your using, as you say, a BT YouView box & I'm using a Plusnet YouView box.

There is a post somewhere on the forum where someone asked if they could use their own YouView box & the answer from Plusnet was the box had to one of theirs.

agedgopher
Aspiring Pro

Thanks caravanj.

The BTV-437 issue appeared when I was using the Plusnet provided Youview+ box. This has been returned to Plusnet.

I have only connected my other box to attempt to get some clarification on the whole problem. My Youview+ box did work when I tried it early on, when tv channels were available to me. The error message issue only appeared after an update to Plusnet's system on the 9th September. On that morning there were lots of problems reported by a lot of subscribersand access to the internet was not available for several hours.

caravanj
Aspiring Pro

Right, we got our Plusnet box late October & we've had no issues so it's probably safe to assume you should be ok if you try again.

As for Sky we'll never use them again.

Whilst their methods aren't illegal some of them are certainly at the top end of sharp practice.

Shetland
Dabbler

I signed up about the same time and still have the error.  I telephoned a few weeks ago to ask if anything had been done about this and the lady talked me through the soft reset option i.e. keep recordings. It didn't work.  

agedgopher
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Shetland. 

I got fed up of doing resets of the router and Youview box. I seemed to spend a whole weekend on my knees. The engineer from Qube who came out on the monday morning repeated everything I tried with exactly the same result. He even tried another Youview box, which was exactly the same, no channels just BTV-437.

This BTV-437 error has been around since before February this year although the customer service advisors told me that my BTV-437 was different to those previously reported !!!  If you try looking at BT's site and put the error code into the search box there are loads of complaints on there also.

The Qube engineer told Plusnet that in his opinion the problem was with settings between the router and the Plusnet server. Plusnet just accepted my cancellation, sent a bag to return the Youview box and refunded the money that I had paid. I have seen no evidence of that there has been any progress in resolving the problem since like yourself people are still experiencing difficulties 3 months on from my own experience. It would appear that our routers are not configured to accept multicast.

caravanj
Aspiring Pro

Didn't the engineer try a new router?

If not then he's just guessing what the problem is whereas you wanted a definitive answer.

agedgopher
Aspiring Pro

Hi caravanj.

No another router was not tried. The engineer was being held up by technical at Plusnet and had been in my home fer 1 hour and was 45 minutes late for his next appointment. He was only able to try a Youview box despite being told he was not to unpack a new one unless ours was faulty! The customer service staff seemed to accept that there was a configuration issue but after cancelling their input to me has totally ceased. The problem will not be resolved.

My previous comment about going to Sky will now not happen given the latest Murdoch family move to acquire the whole Sky empire.

caravanj
Aspiring Pro

New router & new YV box - does it work -yes.

Refit old router - does it work -yes - suspect YV box -leave new YV box fitted.

You get the idea, job done in 5 minutes without a test meter in sight.

We had Sky but when we cancelled it we found that although we owned the box we only leased the software from Sky so the box then wouldn't play any of our recordings, not even the free-to-air channels.

It's like buying a car & finding out you're only leasing the engine management software which won't work unless you pay the dealer.

agedgopher
Aspiring Pro

Thank you caravanj.

I must admit that a replacement router has not been tried and, being of advanced years, a lot of router terminology and set up is well beyond my comfort zone.  I have a good friend who is coming round later today and will help to try this, will see what happens later.

agedgopher
Aspiring Pro

New router connected today. Sadly results are exactly the same as the original.

I did doubt that it would show a difference because it would, to my mind, point to a component failure in the original. I was told on the 9th September that there had been a large number of reports of loss of tv service with the same BTV-437 error message. To attribute this to a router component failure would seem to indicate a fault of  epidemic proportions which would be easy for Plusnet to resolve.

The attribution of a configuration error would appear more likely and given that a lot of customers reported a similar problem on the same day should have pointed technicians to look at what happened overnight on the 8th September to create such carnage. This may not be a help to those who have been suffering from this issue for much longer than me, but we can but hope that a solution will be forthcoming.

An update from technical may inspire some confidence at some point in the future but until such time as that happens I will go without the Youview service. As part of my original sign up in February this year I agreed to a 2 year contract. So I am with Plusnet until at least March 2018.

caravanj
Aspiring Pro

@agedgopher

You'd really need to test with another box & another router at the same time.

It could be a fault with your YV box rather than a fault with 2 routers.

Our YV box ran quite happily through our older Plusnet Hub Zero for a couple of days till we got our new Plusnet Hub One.

One other uknown factor is how many users are ok & how many still have problems & are all the new users who got their YV boxes from, say, mid October onwards all ok.

agedgopher
Aspiring Pro

Thanks again caravanj.

The  test with all new gear would be ideal but sadly I don't think I can do that. There are still posts being made to the BTV-437 thread on the forum so the situation would appear to be still a live one. Neither Plusnet or BT seem willing to publicly admit that there is a problem  but given the huge financial investment that BThave put into the tv project and the need to make profit from it, it is not surprising that they are keeping quiet. Not a wise business move to admit that your flagship product has problems before it has really got off the ground.

I thank everyone who has tried to help and guide me but I am just going to allow this thread to slowly die away because I am now totally out of my comfort zone despite having spent most of my working life in electronics. MY 74 year old brain cannot keep up with all the changes.