cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does Followup-to as an address option do?

drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

While I was composing the preceding my answer here I noticed there's a "Followup-to" option in the possible address boxes - what does that do?

Board Moderator's Note.
This thread has been created by splitting off relevant replies from the Feedback for Roundcube topic since in my opinion the subject is worth a stand-alone thread. Minor editing marked in green above links the split post properly. Smiley
David
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I think that's the address that will be used if the recipient hits the reply button which can be different to the senders address.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
drj
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: drj
While I was composing the preceding answer I noticed there's a "Followup-to" option in the possible address boxes - what does that do?

I've been doing some experimentation. It appears if you put an address in the "Follow-up To:" box the email isn't sent to that address, but if you then "Reply to all" on the received email it only goes to those addresses in the "Follow-up to" list - but NOT to the original sender.
I can't find any guidance on the internet to this feature - including a quick search at the RoundCube community forum - can anyone else?
drj
Aspiring Pro

I've now downloaded the test email to OE and there the response to "Reply to all" is different - it goes to the sender but NOT the address in the "Follow-up to" section. In fact the email address I used for that is totally invisible in OE - the only place I could find it was by examining the "Message Source" where it was listed under "Mail-Followup-To:"
I've decided to ignore that "feature" and leave well alone since its results are unpredictable...
Community Veteran

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc822.txt
Search for Reply-to - that's what I expected it to do
drj
Aspiring Pro

Sorry - cross purposes here - I understand what the "Reply to" element is - it's the "Follow-up" one that got me confused (and why at RoundCube an email sent to a "Follow-up" address replies to that address and that address only when you "Reply to all:" - but not with Outlook Express)
Community Veteran

I've been looking at some articles about reply-to/follow up to including https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Help_Documentation:Mail-Followup-To_and_Mail-Reply-To
It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if OE was different to everything else - it usually is!
drj
Aspiring Pro

Thanks - that illuminates the situation a bit. I've just looked at a Yahoo Groups email to see if I could relate what's in that header to the article, since with those emails apparently come from people but return to the list. However there are so many different fields there I can't work out what's going on. Works in OE though!