Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webmail forwarding issue

drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Webmail forwarding issue

I'm not sure whether this is a bug or a peculiarity of the software - but I've just had a problem with a forwarded email.
I received a work email on my home email account by mistake so forwarded to my work address using webmail.
Fortunately I checked the "Sent" folder because when I did I found out the attachments had been stripped out. I forwarded it again and this time it included the attachments.
With other email programs I've used, when you "Forward" something it includes the attachment but when you "Reply to" an email it strips them out. Hence my surprise to find the first forward hadn't got the attachments attached.
With Roundcube you can either hit the "Forward" button directly or the arrow alongside which gives two options: "Forward inline" and "Forward as attachment". My interpretation of those words relates to how the body of the original email is dealt with, not the attachments that came with it.
Could you please explain what the 2/3 options actually do and why/how I managed to forward the first email without the attachments, so I know which option to use in the future.
3 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 38

Re: Webmail forwarding issue

I've just tried forwarding a message with an attachment using RoundCube and the behaviour was as both you and I expect.
Whether I simply click the Forward button (which is set to use 'Forward inline') or choose 'Forward as attachment' using the arrow selector the attachment was forwarded with the message. In the 'inline' case the body of the original message was included inline (marked with the leader '-------- Original Message -------- ') and the original attachment 'attached'; in the 'as attachment' case the original message is attached as a ,eml file with the original attachment within it.
Don't know whether this makes a difference but my options are set to compose new messages as plain text.
David
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Thank you. I confirm I'd expect things to happen as you've outlined.
Mine is set to "Compose HTML messages - always" - and "Attachment names" is set to "Full RFC 2231 (Thunderbird)"
I'll monitor to see if it happens again.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 38

Quote from: drj
Mine is set to "Compose HTML messages - always" - and "Attachment names" is set to "Full RFC 2231 (Thunderbird)"

I changed my compose setting to "Compose HTML messages - always" - already had that "attachment names" setting, then tried an inline forward again (using the button).
Results were as before - the attachments were forwarded with the message, the behaviour expected.
David