cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webmail displaying deleted message

softrader
Dabbler

Webmail displaying deleted message

On a couple of occasions I've deleted a top-of-the-list message only to have it displayed when the new top-of-the-list message is selected. All other messages are also one off as if the displayed list has been updated but the index to the messages hasn't.
Anyone else reported this? Screenshot attached.
23 REPLIES
softrader
Dabbler

Re: Webmail displaying deleted message

Interesting - I've just logged on again and the deleted message (shown in the screenshot) has returned. Perhaps deleting the message merely flags it for deletion, an action not always carried out?
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 38

I think this is partly a peculiarity of the way IMAP folders behave, "deleted" items are marked for deletion but not physically deleted until the folder is "purged" or "compacted", and in the meantime marked items will display in the index (unless the application chooses to omit them) and will display if selected.
I changed my settings from the defaults so that the "delete" icon (crossed through red circle) doesn't actually "delete" selected items but moves them to the Deleted Items folder instead. Selecting items in the Deleted Items folder and clicking the "delete" icon physically deletes them; all messages in Deleted Items can be deleted by right-clicking its name and selecting "Empty". This process means recovering inadvertently deleted items is easy - drag them from the list back to Inbox.
The server settings I use are illustrated in the attachment. Click Personal Settings (top menu) then Server Settings (left pane) to view your setting and change if desired (don't forget to click Save).
David
David
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I've certainly noticed similar oddities to what the OP's suggesting - though haven't concluded precisely what's happened or taken screenshots. But I can certainly have one message highlighted in the upper listing and a different one visible below.
kmilburn
Grafter

I've observed this behaviour too (or something similar)  and it  is not as benign as it looks..
The main problem I was seeing was that when multiple new messages were present, deleting a message that was not  at the top of the list sometimes resulted in a different new message actually being deleted.  While the subjects in the main list appeared correct, this resulted in a mismatch between the message list and the preview pane.
I did do some experimentation before I got  the problem to disappear  (damned heisenbugs!  Angry),  and it wasn't easy to replicate.
The main elements I garnered were

• it only happens after logging in and before doing things which regenerate the message list

• it only happened when the default sorting was used  - (explicit sorting appears to clear the problem)

• once it's happened,  regenerating the message list will return the remaining new messages in a different order

HTH
softrader
Dabbler

Similar, but possibly related, behaviour today. I've sent the usual large number of spam messages to the spam dump, now the upper three messages can't be accessed.
Clicking the third item highlights the fifth.
softrader
Dabbler

Even worse this morning.
Moved the spam to the Junk folder, then got wrongly highlighted messages. One of my important emails - saved from last Friday (27 Jan) - was missing.
After three careful examinations of the Junk and Deleted folders, there was no sign of it (although a number of messages that should have been Deleted had been Junked, but that could have been me) - the message had disappeared.
Fortunately, on this occasion, the situation can be remedied with a phone call.
But next time?
drj
Aspiring Pro

Similar problem here today. I downloaded my emails about half-an-hour ago so when I went on just now there were only three there.
I activated the preview pane and clicked on email 3 (the earliest) - the contents of email 2 were shown. I clicked on email 2 - the contents of email 1 were shown. I clicked on email 1 (the latest) - the contents of email 3 were shown. I clicked on email 3 - the contents of email 2 were shown and the cycle repeats.
I clicked on "Inbox" at the top left and the situation resolved itself.
drj
Aspiring Pro

Another similar problem here today. I'd read an email from my brother and then accidentally deleted it. I clicked on the Deleted folder and dragged it back into the Inbox. I then clicked on Inbox to find not only the deleted message - "Snow" - but also another message from the Deleted folder appearing at the top out of date order - see screenshot attached. I clicked on the Deleted folder and it was still showing there at the bottom of the list. I clicked on Inbox and it had disappeared from there again.
softrader
Dabbler

PN is very quiet on this.
jojopillo
Grafter

HI guys,
I've been trying to replicate some of these issues but can't. I'm using chrome. I would expect if it was a problem across the board then we'd all see it, so it must be specific circumstances. I'm scratching my head a bit on this one.
Jojo Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Perhaps you don't get as much (junk) mail as they do Jojo  Cheesy  Wink
drj
Aspiring Pro

Another one this evening - XPSP3-FF10 though my laptop not my main machine which is still being rebuilt.
I was reading my emails with the preview pane open and came to the last one on the list. However it wasn't the email from Screwfix as listed - it was one from ADVFN that had only just come in - but I'd already deleted it since I read in reverse chronological order. See screenshot.
After saving the screenshot I went back to the listing and found the screwfix email was missing - I found it in the Deleted folder...
jojopillo
Grafter

Hi drj,
I've been trying to replicate this but can't. You said you're reading your emails in the preview pane. How are you highlighting them in your inbox? Are you clicking on them or using the arrow keys? Can you tell me step by step how you're doing it?
Jojo Smiley
drj
Aspiring Pro

Just clicking on each in turn. It doesn't always happen - just occasionally.