cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webmail Beta unnecessary attachments

Laser
Grafter

Webmail Beta unnecessary attachments

I've just composed a message using the new beta webmail. It put all the available smileys as attachments to the message, whether I'd used them or not. A previous composition a few days ago didn't attach anything, it just put URLs to the Plusnet servers. This latter behaviour seems to be the norm. This would be nice to iron out before the beta goes to release.
On a related note - the recipient said the smileys were inferior to the ones available on Yahoo etc!  Roll eyes  They're certainly inferior to these forum smileys, which I'd have thought you could use for commonality.
6 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 64

Re: Webmail Beta unnecessary attachments

I can't replicate this.
What browser were you using? In what format was the message sent (plain text or html)? Did the email have any other attachments and did you use any smileys? Was the email sent to a Yahoo address?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Laser
Grafter

Hi Bob
I used Firefox 8.0. I was replying to an HTML message using the HTML editor. There were no other attachments, but I had used a couple of smileys in the message. The mail was sent to a btinternet address.
I've sort of recreated the problem as follows:
Create a new message to myself and include a smiley in it.
Send the message.
On receipt it has no attachments.
Reply to this message.
The reply shows the smiley(s) used as being attachments instead of direct links.
Even if you delete the smileys already used they are added as attachments to subsequent replies, this seems to be cumulative.
Deleting the attachments messes up the smiley views in the received message.
None of this appeared to happen when I first tried the webmail beta a few days ago (when the blog post announced its availability). The above example doesn't quite explain why I should get so many attached smileys. Maybe it remembers any attempt to use them, even if subsequently deleted?

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 38

I've just tried that send-and-reply process using Firefox 8.0 on Vista and it worked OK for me, smiley displayed where it should be at each stage with no attachments identified. I used HTML for composing and responding.
The message source shows the smiley GIF as a Base64 encoded inline part as expected. My display options have Display remote inline images set to "from known senders" (which applies to me) though since the image is sent with the message I wouldn't think that setting matters.
David
David
Laser
Grafter

It's changed its behaviour a bit since last posting.
When composing the reply the smileys are shown as attachments as before, but when it's received they're not attached. That means it now pretty much works as expected, but I wonder whether real attachments are being dropped too!
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 38

I've repeated the cycle again and got the behaviour mentioned in your last reply this time. When replying the smiley in the original message is listed in the attachments list pane. However the transmitted message is sent correctly with the smiley's Content Disposition shown as "inline", and no attachment is listed on receipt. So the end result is as expected.
If I add a genuine attachment to the reply the Content Disposition for that is shown as "attachment" and it is listed as such on receipt. So again as expected.
Showing the smiley in the attachment list when composing replies seems to be a display anomaly; the behaviour is correct.
David
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 64

Same thing happens with another install I have access to. Not sure I'd consider it a bug though. Be interesting to see if the same behaviour exists when we upgrade to v0.7...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵