Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Username field corrupted at Login

drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Username field corrupted at Login

I've had this happen several times now. I'm using Norton Identity Safe (hence the green field colour) and 95% of the time it fills the Username and Password fields in correctly - but occasionally the characters are corrupted. This hasn't happened on any other of the 50 or so entries that are stored in NIS so I can only conclude it's something quirky in the PlusNet Login screen.
Even Ctrl+F5 won't correct the situation. I have to close the tab and open another.
Any ideas please?
19 REPLIES
RPMozley
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Username field corrupted at Login

It looks to me more like an incorrect font being used rather than any "corruption" in username. I'm not sure where the fault could come from. Maybe you could try logging in with it like that and see if it's accepted or not.
drj
Aspiring Pro

No - my username consists of repeated letters which would be obvious; all those showing are different - and the number of characters doesn't agree either - and, yes, I've tried to login when it looks like that and it's rejected.
I suspect it's more a NIS problem than a PN but the fact it only occurs on PN and even then only in RC goes against that conclusion.
drj
Aspiring Pro

I've just had it happen again - and the characters are different although the same font/language...
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 38

That used to happen (possibly still does) on the phpMyAdmin login screen shown immediately after logging out. I wonder if it is associated with the pages being gzipped and/or UTF-8?
David
drj
Aspiring Pro

... and again this morning:
RPMozley
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Well I'd like to know more about this NIS software and how it works before anything else. Is there any documentation for it available to view?
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi drj,
I'd agree that it's most likely the MIS software causing the issues as we haven't had any other reports of issues like this from customers to my knowledge.
Do you have any further information regarding the issue and what diagnostics you've been able to do to investigate? Unfortunately there's not a lot to go on from what you've posted so far.
drj
Aspiring Pro

Sorry - not a lot more to say really. The problem seems to clear when I close that particular FF tab and open a new one.
Interestingly Symantec have now released a freeware version of NIS that anyone can use - hadn't spotted that until you asked for more information - check out http://www.symantec.com/en/uk/about/news/release/article.jsp?prid=20120131_11, https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?docid=v63757029_ID_Safe_Retail... and http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/software/3334634/how-use-norton-identity-safe/
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Hi drj, how long have you been using NIS?
drj
Aspiring Pro

Around 6+ years
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 64

I'll take a look at the freeware version when I get the chance and see if I can replicate the problem ...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56
drj
Aspiring Pro

Thanks - didn't realise it was a widespread issue since it only happens for me with PlusNet. The Google link didn't work by the way - it took me to my iGoogle home page.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I just searched for Norton Identity Safe chinese characters