Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to send

198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Unable to send

I've been trying to reply to an email tonight using Roundcube, and it just won't work.  Sad
Hitting 'Send now' returned a message saying 'Spelling errors detected in the message.' No apparent way to correct them.
Tried 'Check spelling' button - nothing happened.
Tried 'Send now' button - red box flashed up saying 'SMTP Error: Server does not support Delivery Status Notifications'.
Same results when starting from scratch with 'Create a new message'.
Never thought I would use the words 'Good old Squirrelmail'.  Shocked
Not young enough to know everything
12 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 38

Re: Unable to send

Just experimented with spell checking.
Normally I use Firefox spell checking which puts a wavy red line under spelling mistakes as I type, no problems correcting those.
I hadn't used the RoundCube checker and had to enable it to do so on send. This showed RoundCube underlined spelling errors with a solid red line. Clicking on misspelt words listed suggestions, and it insisted on one being chosen, albeit with "accept" as an option. The misspelt word turned green when corrected. Once errors have been identified clicking elsewhere or trying to manually correct an error seemed to be disallowed. However double-clicking in the message pane appeared to cancel spell checking and one could then change the text as desired.
If I chose to ignore marked errors sending the message again worked for me.
This seems different from your experience? Huh
Edit: Light bulb moment - realised one can type corrected text into the "OK" textbox before clicking OK. The amended word replaces the incorrect one.
Forgot to mention before - if the last word is followed by a full stop but no "new line" it is flagged up as a spelling error. However any other special character doesn't trigger this behaviour.
David
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Thanks for your observations spraxyt. All OK on that score now. Amused to note that it didn't like the spelling of 'Roundcube'.  Roll eyes
Re the failure to send, with the 'SMTP Error: Server does not support Delivery Status Notifications' message - that was cured by un-ticking the 'Always request a delivery status notification' box. It would appear the the facility is offered, but not supported.  Crazy
Not young enough to know everything
Superuser
Superuser

Adding words to the spell check dictionary is built into version 0.7 currently in beta release. I think the stable version may be along by the end of the month. That would allow us to teach it to spell (presumably only in our own copy).
However we shall have to see how frequently Plusnet are prepared to update this software.
David
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 65

Quote from: 4C
Hitting 'Send now' returned a message saying 'Spelling errors detected in the message.' No apparent way to correct them.

You can switch spell checking off using the the button on the WYSIWYG editor (if composing messages in HTML). Alternatively there's an option under Personal Settings > Composing Messages > Check spelling before sending a message.
Tried 'Check spelling' button - nothing happened.

You need to either turn spell checking off or correct the mistakes as per spraxyt's explanation.
Tried 'Send now' button - red box flashed up saying 'SMTP Error: Server does not support Delivery Status Notifications'.

That's not ideal, will see if there's anything that can be done about this.
Quote from: spraxyt
Forgot to mention before - if the last word is followed by a full stop but no "new line" it is flagged up as a spelling error. However any other special character doesn't trigger this behaviour.

Really? I don't seem to be able to replicate this Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: Bob
Quote from: spraxyt

Really? I don't seem to be able to replicate this Huh

Yes - see attachment.  Tongue
However the scope of this behaviour is not quite as broad as I thought it was. When I experienced this I must have been editing in plain text - it doesn't happen with HTML, presumably because the editor adds HTML tags after the user text.
To demonstrate this behaviour I changed to plain text editing, then did the spell check with the results shown. Correction words offered including the "OK" one all omit the full stop.
David
David
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Ah yes, I can replicate when using plain text composition. I wonder if it's something that will be fixed in 0.7?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

Superuser
Superuser

Nothing strikes me as relating to this in the 0.7-beta changelog, haven't seen the 0.7-stable fixes. Don't think it's a major problem though.
David
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Vague, but I wondered if this could help:
[quote author="Roundcube Changelog"]Added possibility to ignore words containing caps, numbers, symbols (spellcheck_ignore_* options)

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

Superuser
Superuser

Maybe but ignoring the complete word means it could be missed if it is misspelt.
If the (plain text) document ends with a recognised punctuation character other than full stop it doesn't get flagged as a spelling mistake, so the code seems to "know" how to handle ending with a punctuation character, but not if this is full stop unless new line (or space) follows it.
It gets flagged if the last character is £, but that is not a recognised punctuation character. Ending with comma is also accepted since that is a punctuation character; the tool is checking spelling not English vocabulary.
David
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The plot thickens because another installs I have access to (0.5.3) does *not* exhibit this problem! Huh Another 0.6 install I have access to does though. Based on this, I suspect it's a bug that was introduced with 0.6. I don't really want to report it until I've had the chance to see if it's still evident using 0.7.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

Superuser
Superuser

Interesting  Roll eyes - might be something that was introduced then fixed in passing.
David
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Ah, I now have access to another (non-Plusnet) Roundcube install and this problem *isn't* evident. Obviously that implies that it isn't something native to the code so we've done a little more digging. The install that doesn't exhibit the problem using 'googie' for its spellchecking whereas we're using pspell I think. We'll try googie in an isolated environment and see if it fixes the problem.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team