Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The HTML editor

Laser
Grafter

The HTML editor

I'll be honest. I've been getting infuriated with the editor in HTML mode.  Sad
It's usable if you compose a fresh email, or have an HTML email and want to reply to it by adding your own message above the original. However, if you want to split up the original and insert your own text in between the lines of the original it is a dead loss.
Toggling the quote button usually quotes/unquotes the entire mail. If you fiddle with adding enough carriage returns and deleting things you can get it to unquote a paragraph. Sometimes typing something then puts the quote back.
Often if you've done that it looks ok in the editor, but the recipient sees something different. Usually lack of linespacing, incorrect fonts, etc.
Every so often the cursor will become invisible. It's fully functional, but not visible.
The best workaround seems to be to copy/paste the text of interest from the original into the space above and re-quote it, inserting your responses as you go. Even that can be fraught because sometimes the editor will randomly decide to paste the text in a different font or layout even if you copy/paste via an external ASCII text editor.
If you compose a new message in text mode, then toggle to HTML mode, inserting smileys adds linebreaks around the smiley. You can delete them (which sometimes also deletes the smiley) but when it gets sent the breaks get put back in.
The real last straw was the other day I went to edit a message I'd saved in drafts. The preview pane showed the entire message as expected. As soon as I edited it, half the content had disappeared. I tried forwarding it to myself and all sorts, but any attempt to open it in the editor chopped out several paragraphs. Even looking at the HTML source mode showed the content was missing.
I'm so frustrated with it I'm bordering on going back to using squirrelmail. If it wasn't for one person I regularly communicate with loving to use smileys and fonts and other eye candy not available in text mode, I probably would have already. Even the selection of smileys is unusual, the ones on this forum are far better.
OK, grumble over, but I really hope this improves before it comes out of "beta".  Lips are sealed
4 REPLIES
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: The HTML editor

Hi Laser,
Not sure what's going on there, which browser is it you use? This is the first I've seen of any issues like this though no doubt this thread will be updated if anyone else is getting the same problems. Does clearing cookies/history etc have any effect?
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 38

Quote from: Laser
I'll be honest. I've been getting infuriated with the editor in HTML mode.  Sad

OK, grumble over, but I really hope this improves before it comes out of "beta".  Lips are sealed

I think the things that are frustrating you are actually a limitation of what a simple HTML editor is rather than something associated with the implementation in Roundcube. The functionality you are seeking really requires a far more capable editor that understands the formatting methodology used by the originating processor. If such editors exist they probably come as part of a paid-for application rather being open source and free.
As an example the MS Outlook email client produces MS Word-like formatting and the HTML includes and calls up an extensive collection of styles; these styles are embedded with the document. The simple HTML editor copes with this in a reply by isolating the original text into its own division and manages its own formatting outside that division. Any attempt to break into the original text division - or even extract a section of its text - is likely to have significant side effects as you have seen.
Perhaps such editors will one day become readily available, however I suspect that could be some time away. Certainly I wouldn't expect this to change before Plusnet make Roundcube the default webmail client for their customers.
David
David
Laser
Grafter

Thanks for the responses.
I'm using the latest version of Firefox. I haven't tried it in IE much yet, I'll let you know if it's significantly different.
I take the point about what the originating format is and possibly causing confusion, but other implementations don't seem to suffer as much. Frankly as it stands I find it barely usable for anything beyond composition of new mails. I'd at least expect WYSIWYG to hold for the most part as it has to display it in the editor.
As for it losing half the message upon edit, that's obviously not good. Only seen that the once though.
I'd prefer to see somthing like this forum where the composition is not WYSIWYG but you have a reasonable faith in what you're going to get, plus there's a preview.
Laser
Grafter

Been using it with the latest (I think) version of IE. This seems to behave much more predictably. It can still be a little cumbersome, but I haven't seen any outright problems.
Now whether that is the editor having a problem with Firefox or vice versa I cannot say.