Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spell check performance

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 38

Spell check performance

From what I recall spell checking originally worked, but it doesn't now.
When activated the "Checking" box displays, but the check takes a long time eventually returning with "no errors found" briefly displayed (even when lots of errors are present).
This problem was initially mentioned by artmo here.
David
David
6 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 64

Re: Spell Checking Not Working

Seems to be broken here too David (checked in FF3/IECool. I'll see if I can get somebody to take a look. Seems odd that it used to work.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 64

Ok after a bit of digging we've determined that this functionality calls out to the Google spell checker (from the servers), and this hasn't been opened up.
This would suggest that it's never worked. Could you be confusing things with the build that Barry installed on one of his boxes?
Anyway, a change needs raising to open up the firewall to allow this call out and we've put this on our 'to do' list.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 38

Quote from: Bob
Ok after a bit of digging we've determined that this functionality calls out to the Google spell checker (from the servers), and this hasn't been opened up.
This would suggest that it's never worked. Could you be confusing things with the build that Barry installed on one of his boxes?

I think you are right, it would be on Barry's own build that I saw spell checking working. Thinking back it might have been against a US-English dictionary too.
David
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Spell check performance

In firefox, the builtin spell-checker works instantly as you type - but spell checking an extremely short email (using the spellcheck icon) takes a long time - 30+ secs.

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Spell check performance

Quote from: spraxyt
From what I recall spell checking originally worked, but it doesn't now.
When activated the "Checking" box displays, but the check takes a long time eventually returning with "no errors found" briefly displayed (even when lots of errors are present).

Just done a test and the spell checking doesn't work, and it is very slow at Checking.
Community Veteran

Re: Spell check performance

Yes, spell check doesn't work.  I raised this back in September and PN put it on their list of things to do.