cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam and whitelist/blacklist

johngie
Dabbler

Spam and whitelist/blacklist

How "reliable" are the spam/not spam buttons? I have marked a number of messages as "not spam" and subsequent messages from the same (reliable) senders have re-appeared in the spam folder.
In the past, whitelisting has always fixed this issue so should it still be done? And will whitelisting/blacklisting still be operational one Roundcube has "gone live"?
John
3 REPLIES
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Spam and whitelist/blacklist

As far as I am aware the Spam/Not Spam buttons are entirely separate to the white/black listing facility. So yes, it appears you have to whitelist and the senders of the trapped emails need to investigate why their emails are being so treated.
Can I also just add that the symbols on the Spam/Not Spam buttons are really confusing - why is the "Report Spam" button depicting a recycling crate - seems totally illogical to me.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 38

Classification as spam or not spam is done by the Cloudmark appliances when the email arrives at the server and has no connection with the program that will later be used to read the message. Whitelisting and blacklisting via Manage My Mail can be used to instruct Cloudmark how you want those messages to be treated. This process will not change when Roundcube becomes the default webmail program.
I assume Roundcube provides simple plugin hooks that made it easy to build the updated spam and not spam reporting buttons into it. These buttons submit incorrectly classified messages directly to Cloudmark who should act on the report. However the speed of reaction depends on the accuracy reputation that the user builds up over time. If I've understood Cloudmark's documentation correctly reports from a user with a low reputation score require multi-report and/or manual verification, while those from a user with a high reputation score are processed directly.
One thing users must not do is use spam reporting in an attempt to block genuine newsletters they signed up to but no longer wish to receive. Genuine newsletters will have an unsubscribe link in the message which will be honoured. They are not spam and reporting them as such will lead to a poor reputation score.
David
RPMozley
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I suppose Cloudmark aren't going to tell you, as a user, what your reputation score is.