cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snail Webmail again.

Community Veteran

Snail Webmail again.

Hi folks,
Further to my last post, Squirrelmail seemed to have bucked its ideas a bit, but I now see that EMACs errors are appearing again and wet paint drying rates seem quite modest! Thank goodness for the betawebmail bolt-hole to let me communicate at a reasonable speed again.
Any further progress with making things less of a development and more as a alternative facility?
Colin.  Huh
9 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 65

Re: Snail Webmail again.

Quote from: colintivy
Further to my last post, Squirrelmail seemed to have bucked its ideas a bit, but I now see that EMACs errors are appearing again and wet paint drying rates seem quite modest! Thank goodness for the betawebmail bolt-hole to let me communicate at a reasonable speed again.

There's a fair few of our mail collection servers struggling at the moment which I'm guessing is related. We've a couple of engineers over at one of our data centres busy repatching servers to spread the switch load.
Any further progress with making things less of a development and more as a alternative facility?

Last I heard, we'd been playing around with this.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@Bob, Have you tested sogo for screen readers?
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Not personally no, but it's not really my job to Wink
On a serious note though, it's very early doors yet Gary, so we're some distance off testing the accessibility of the solution.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

As per my post here, can you keep an eye on things folks and report back if you think the Webmail platform's still struggling or starts struggling again?
Thanks.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

Community Veteran

Bob,
Thanks for your replies, Sogo information a bit over my head but I guess that the dev lads know what they are doing!!
On a separate issue, I have found difficulty with Fwding emails to a list of recipients using BCC. This is very easy with the Squrrel address book where you can select which category (To, CC & BCC) by ticking the box relevant to each addressee. On beta, the first address chosen seems OK but I cannot add the subsequent ones. This partly due to the Address Book being not used for the selection or am I missing something?
Colin  Cheesy
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Not 100% sure what you mean?
Are you talking about the way entries in the address book tabulate, whereas those that aren't don't?

Any addresses not in the address book, you can either comma separate or just put on a new line.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

Community Veteran

Bob.  Sorry to obscure things for you. I think that the fact that it is not possible to view the address book or a summary of nicknames while you are completing the BCC box makes like difficult, it really means that using a hard copy is the most reliable way of getting the addresses correctly. I have found that, if I type in the beginning of the name in the BC box, the system will list some likely options in full; but subsequent attempts do not seem to be offered for others that are required. The Squirrel Address book is very much better in this respect where the choices are made within itself. I did wonder if there is something that I had missed in my attempts so far as it seems to be not well thought out.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Go to the address book, highlight all of the contacts you want to bcc into your email and then click the compose mail button. This should open a composition window with all the addresses listed in the 'To' field. You should then be able to expand the Bcc field and copy and paste the list of addresses across.
Not 100% ideal, but if I understand what you're trying to do then it should at least offer a workaround?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

Community Veteran

Ta! Will have a fiddle using your guidance. Thought that there must be a work-round. Agreed that it does not look like ideal. Quite a change for SM to be the better despite webmail being the main problem.
C. Cheesy